Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Can you remove dog smell from a house?

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Natural Cleaners and Products for the Home Can you remove dog smell from a house?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    MuklukMukluk
    Participant

We are looking to buy a new house soon.  One place we have seen seems nice enough but the current owners have dogs and the house stinks of dog.  Some rooms are worse than others.  Is it possible to remove dog smell and if so how do I do it?  Do I have to replace the carpet or is there something I can do to keep the carpet and remove the smell?

SnagsSnags

Internet says dont steam clean or you will cook it in
    Spay vinegar around and let it evaporate.
    I would imagine bicarb soda into the carpet and vaccummed would be pretty good too
    Obviously not with the vinegar or it will bubble

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I would go with the bi-carb, leave it down for as long as you can.

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

Thank you both!  If we buy the house I will let you know how it goes.  At least now it is not off our list due to smell.

earthwalkerearthwalker
    Participant

Personally, I would rip up the carpet and live on bare floors ’til I could afford an alternative.  I really hate carpet and once you’ve lifted even what looks like clean carpet, you will be pretty revolted by it.  It’s not just the smell of dog, but also the fleas (if their house reeks of dog, there will be fleas).  I wouldn’t write off a house due to pet smells….most things can be ripped out or put right.  All the best with the househunt.

AUSSIEDOWNUNDERAUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

Just be carefull  the house at the end of our street just sold they had dogs  it took a team of professional cleaners 2 vans  5 full days to clean up the place

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Just dog mess Aussiedownunder or human mass as well?

AUSSIEDOWNUNDERAUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

Not shore they arrived and seemed to put some of there stuff in the garage

Then the vans came and there was big hoses  going from the vans inside

And often you would see what looked li9ke carpet scrubbers outside

Some day when I see somebody out side will call for a chat

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.