Aussies Living Simply

Can I use seeds from commercial pumpkins?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Can I use seeds from commercial pumpkins?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    busybeebusybee

I just bought a couple of pumpkins to make soup 😀 and I wondered if I could use the seeds in the pumpkin to plant in my garden? Hubby is going to get some more soil on the weekend and we talked about planting pumpkins and I just wondered if the seeds I have would germinate or whether I should buy some in a packet.

Thanks 😀

LeecyLeecy

Most of the pumpkins I’ve grown have been ones that got thrown out and then germinated. They should work just fine!

diannedianne
    Participant

I have a jap pumpkin vine in the garden at the moment that came up from a seed in the compost from store bought one. :tup:

busybeebusybee

Thanks both of you! I just thought why waste seed if it will work.

weaverweaver

It is worth giving anything a try. The worst that can happen is that they dont grow at all. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, 😀

I have them growing out of the lawn from where I’ve dropped a couple of seeds on the way to the compost pile (which, by the way, is also covered in pumpkin vines from rogue seeds)!

busybeebusybee

weaver wrote:

It is worth giving anything a try. The worst that can happen is that they dont grow at all. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, 😀

Thats what I figure too. If it doesn’t work…oh well:D

billbill

If you compost your kitchen waste the question is a mute point – you will get pumpkins of some variety from to umpteen rogue vines that will emerge. I have never really had a dud rogue vine, although one of my current one has smallish pumpkins. Mind you, for the cost of a packet of seeds vs the work you put into growing, do you want a “lottery” vine?

busybeebusybee

I;’l take anything I can get at the moment Bill 😆

wizzbefwizzbef

I have a ‘rogue’ pumpkin vine at the moment, must have been store bought and the pumpkins are huge..40cm across at least and my 6mo likes ’em. The vine has grown all the way under the hills hoist so it is even a struggle to get the nappies out to dry in the fresh air lol.

I’d say give ’em a go….what have you got to lose :tup:

ChezzaChezza
    Participant

Hi Wizzer!!! :wave:

I love volunteer pumpkin vines, they can keep you in their fruit for most of the year where I live!!

Show them the lurve, you might be lucky!! :tup:

AnjaAnja

We have 4 rogue vines right now that have had hundreds of flowers on over the summer, but not one single pumpkin 🙁

diannedianne
    Participant

Anja wrote:

We have 4 rogue vines right now that have had hundreds of flowers on over the summer, but not one single pumpkin 🙁

have you tried to hand pollanate?

billbill

I suspect the most common shop pumpkins seed true – queensland blue, japs, iron bark, etc. Most of my rogues have fruit exactly like a queensland blue…. except for one this year. All my japs are from seed saved from a store pumpkin purchased last year.

sue esue e

i have the best success with self sewn feral pumpkins.the summer before last our ferals gave us enough pumpkins to last until this seasons were ready to harvest. we also planted some paw paw pumpkins after lots of searching for seed which we finally obtained from eden seeds i think. we got 18 pumpkins so that should keep us goin for a while. i reckon feral tomatoes and pumpkins seem to do best here.:D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.