Aussies Living Simply

Can anyone tell me….

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Can anyone tell me….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jaden62jaden62

How to tell when a watermelon is ripe. I’ve tried asking on 2 gardening sites, but so far no-one has answered me.

I’ve got 3 watermelons out the back. I’m pretty certain one won’t come to anything, but of the other 2, the largest: Sounds hollow when it’s knocked, the last tendrils before the melon have died off, but the stalk itself is still green & thriving.

So, is it ripe or not? I don’t want to pick it early & find it’s not ripe as it’s the first one I’ve ever managed to grow this big.

lavmanlavman

Hi jaden62,

I think you are already on the money when you said “Sounds hollow when it’s knocked, the last tendrils before the melon have died off” :tup: you just need someone else to spread the blame if it isn’t ripe :laugh: that’s how I do it anyway.

donkeynomaddonkeynomad

You need to have two of the three signs there.

1, Sounds full of water when tapped

2, the patch where it sits on the ground goes from white to cream or yellow

3, the tendril where the stem meets the vine dies.

jaden62jaden62

Ok, I picked it. It didn’t have a pale patch on the underside, so I just tried.

I brought it inside & cut it – it is pink inside, the white outer edge is about just under 1cm thick, it smells heavenly, & as I was cutting it, the melon split, so it seems like I’ve picked it at the right time. So, by the time we’ve finished with this one, the next one should be ready to go.

It’s the first time I’ve managed to bring a watermelon to picking, so I’m really happy. (at least the rat didn’t attempt to eat the watermelon. But he’s about to get into trouble because he’s not only been half eating tomatoes, but nibbling on my rhubarb!)

BobbeeBobbee

So glad your watermelon is ripe. I would have said that it needed to sound hollow when you tap it, but the other hints sound sensible and practical too. So thanks folk I will remember those.

We find rats can be a problem in the garden too jaden62, they ate our entire crop of sweet corn a few years ago.

🙂

jaden62jaden62

now I’ve got another question that I’m looking for an answer to.

What sort of animal “swaps” something into a trap? I set a rat trap out in the garden last night, baited with peanut butter. This morning I went out there, hoping to see a trapped rat (that I would tell hubby to “dispose of”), instead, I find a honeyeater.

Hhhhmmm. That honeyeater wasn’t killed by the trap. In fact, it’s the same honeyeater that I saw last night – dead – over at the edge of the garden. So, by the looks of things, the dead honeyeater has been dropped onto the trap, setting it off, & the rat (or super-rat or whatever) has then cleaned all the peanut butter off the trap.

Now how do I get rid of a rat (or whatever) that seems to be capable of rational thought???

BobbeeBobbee

:jawdrop:

I await responses with interest.

🙂

lavmanlavman

Just a theory. maybe the rat was carrying the bird back to its pad when it spotted/found the peanut butter and accidently set the trap off while investigating. :shrug:

SnagsSnags

Bump.
    I wonder if the super rat has taken over the world yet

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

lol thought I was reading one of blue wrens old posts for a minute there
    she is still having problems, with wildlife eating her produce

AUSSIEDOWNUNDERAUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

We used to test melons by tapping and to make shore cut a small triangle hole remove the wedge it can be replaced if not quite ready

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.