Aussies Living Simply

Buying Gold

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

geoff wrote:

But didn’t these things only have value to the ruling class who also held all the power? My thought there is that as soon as you turn up on their doorstep to trade they’re just going to ask their henchmen to relieve you of your bounty.

Of course if you flashed your money around now or any point in history it would have been stolen. I can think of numerous ways to conduct a trade with a little common sense.

If hammers, nails and shovels are of truer value are as you say they will be, what is to stop the henchmen gang taking yours? Seeing that they are bulkier and harder to hide?

AnissaAnissa

If you change your super to a self managed super fund you can buy gold using your super money. Guess where the gold can be stored?? Yep at home…. Long term investment and if tshtf completely you are left holding the loot.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Reid_alderbooks wrote:

what is to stop the henchmen gang taking yours?

Me.

I’ll be standing next to him prepared to defend our food, equipment and our families.

roadwarrior wrote:

Reid_alderbooks wrote:

what is to stop the henchmen gang taking yours?

Me.

I’ll be standing next to him prepared to defend our food, equipment and our families.

Your assuming you will be part of a community and I won’t. this discussion is more are what do you see as wealth, not how many people you can group with.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

I just directly answered your previous question, that’s all. Geoff and I have already discussed teaming up to look after each other, but realistically this may not be possible. In the end though I’m sure there will be someone just like me covering Geoff’s back when the need arises.

I wasn’t assuming you won’t be part of a community. I’m certain you have many skills required for a low tech society and may be welcomed into a community if you haven’t started one yourself. But only you know if you can defend youself from the gang of henchmen come to take your stuff.

GeoffGeoff
    Keymaster

Of course if you flashed your money around now or any point in history it would have been stolen. I can think of numerous ways to conduct a trade with a little common sense.

If hammers, nails and shovels are of truer value are as you say they will be, what is to stop the henchmen gang taking yours? Seeing that they are bulkier and harder to hide?

What I was trying to get at was that common items can be traded with anyone, this means you don’t have to alert whoever happens to be the in power to the fact that you’ve got wealth. Sure it might still get taken, as with any kind of wealth.

Most people interested in basic survival aren’t going to be interested in gold or gems, so the only reliable market for your trade items will be those with the power to secure all their essential needs and time and energy left over to worry about the abstract wealth represented in precious commodities.

You can trade common things with passing travellers and neighbours, trading uncommon things might entail a visit to the local ruler’s fortress for a personal audience… :uhoh:

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.