Aussies Living Simply

Buying Gold

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    wizzbefwizzbef

In times of Economic collapse etc… they say Gold is King. I have been thinking maybe I should buy some….lock it away….I dunno.

How do you buy it? Does its price go up and down on a daily basis?

Where would one buy it

I have a friend with a metal detector …maybe some weekend bushwalking is the answer

Liz

DB346DB346

Could be wrong here, but I don’t know if there is much worth in ‘gold’ in a traditional sense. Skills, knowledge, food, tools and animals are more valuable. A gold watch or ring, or a bag of coins may not be much use to trade, if the seller is interested in ‘useful’ items. Have a look on the WWW and you may see a trend/real world example. I think it also happened Cuba, people did not want gold – they wanted seeds or knowledge or tools to help them. I suppose in the end, it would depend on the community/area.

I could be completely wrong, but that is my take on it.

I doubt gold would have much value in a post PO society.

Useful things would do far better. Gold may become valuable once people get the hang of living and can afford to look for “pretty things” or once an economy needs currency (but there’s no certainty they will use gold as currency) but that would take a while.

Go with the above post. Made good sense to me.

My guess is the most valuable things would be simple metal tools of all sorts. Anything from wood-fired stoves to saws…anything that can turn a tree into something usable.

GeoffGeoff
    Keymaster

According to Dimitry Orlov it was what we consider everyday luxuries that were the best barter items during their collapse. Bottles of scotch, cigarettes, etc Also things like packets of nails, screws, washers, and other general hardware items that might not be readily available, yet are very useful. Any long-life consumable like that would be good for bartering.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

Gold is useful during an economic collapse. As inflation gets out of control, gold holds it’s value, and there will always be people prepared to echange that gold for currency minus a fee.

The crucial thing here though is you have to buy gold BEFORE the collapse begins. Whether people recognise it or not, we (the globe) are already in the stages of financial collapse. If you bought gold at $200/ounce then you’ll cash in. If you buy it now at $1200/ounce all you will do is stop any money you have saved from devaluing due to inflation.

This is assuming you have spare money. I’m sure the majority of us aren’t in that situation; we are spending our money now so converting it to gold is a waste of time because we are getting current value for our money.

In the future gold may go a bit higher due to extreme financial problems, but by the time we get to that stage you’ll probably find the guy who exchanges gold has been eaten by hungry canabalistic hordes, and it doesn’t matter how much money you have you won’t be able to buy the things that you need.

Gold exchange has worked for countries like Cuba and Argentina, and will probably work the same for Greece as well, as people sell their jewlery. But this works only up to a point. Unless you’ve got hundreds of thousands of dollars saved up gold investment is beyond the average punter.

At the end of the day gold will be worthless. As the previous posts have suggested, invest in more holistic things. If I had spare cash I’d be investing in farmland. Even zombies have got to eat.

rw

roadwarriorroadwarrior

geoff wrote:

According to Dimitry Orlov it was what we consider everyday luxuries that were the best barter items during their collapse. Bottles of scotch, cigarettes, etc Also things like packets of nails, screws, washers, and other general hardware items that might not be readily available, yet are very useful. Any long-life consumable like that would be good for bartering.

To use purely for bartering I’m buying things like bic lighters, screws, razors and condoms (closer to when I think things are going to go pear shaped, because rubbers have a used-by-date).

Rubbing two sticks together sucks, things break and need fixing or building, guys still want to look good and shave, and people will still want to have sex without having babies. I predict I’ll run out of condoms first.

Lipstick and makeup are good for bribes, cause young guys can impress their girlfirends with gifts. (then they’ll need more condoms!)

Toilet paper is another sought after item, but I’ll need that myself so it probably won’t be used for barter.

IdunaIduna

I would put my money into something that is cheap today but will be worth its weight in gold later on. Like salt and suger. Toilet paper is good too.

roadwarriorroadwarrior

I’ve got over 100kg of salt, and at least half that in sugar. I use to get 25kg bags of salt from Campbell’s for around $6.50. Sugar is cheap from Woolworths in 3kg bags. They always have heaps on the shelves so I buy a dozen at a time.

This won’t be used for barter though, except if I can get more salt.

wizzbefwizzbef

Well I guess I got the answer I was really hoping for. Ya can’t eat Gold. It won’t keep me warm at night.

Hubby and I are stocking what we can, as much as we can. Guess I started this post after I had checked on my kids peacefully sleeping in them warm beds, bellies full, dreaming wonderful happy dreams, while I looked on at them in a moment of despair wondering what the hell the future holds for them

I couldn’t even afford an ounce of gold….trying to get rid of my small mortgage asap

Thanks for replies

roadwarriorroadwarrior

wizzbef wrote:Guess I started this post after I had checked on my kids peacefully sleeping in them warm beds, bellies full, dreaming wonderful happy dreams, while I looked on at them in a moment of despair wondering what the hell the future holds for them

You’re not alone with this. There are many sombre moments when I think about what we have done to destroy our children’s future. Hell, it’s going to happen so fast it’s our future too, but we are part to blame. They are innocent and vulnerable. They don’t deserve this.

DB346DB346

Time may our may not be on our side, the truth is, nobody knows with any certainty when the poo will realy hit the fan. ‘

From the research I have conducted, I believe it will be a slow downward slide. The further we slide, the faster the momentum until eventually we reach the ‘poo hit the fan’ stage.

May have years, who knows.

shortlyshortly

Even one we do reach the ‘poo hit the fan’ stage it will probably take a few to several years & most PPL wont recognise it for what it really is until after the event. Most sheeple aren’t particularly observant.

Diamonds are my choice, easy to transport and hide. And if after a life changing event, and people learn to do with out toilet paper the value will come back to the rare resources.

Unless we have a nuclear or cosmic event, life at worst will revert back to the mid industrial age and gold and diamonds were valuable then, in fact gold has been valuable since 4000BC, diamonds since 2000BC.

GeoffGeoff
    Keymaster

gold and diamonds were valuable then, in fact gold has been valuable since 4000BC, diamonds since 2000BC.

But didn’t these things only have value to the ruling class who also held all the power? My thought there is that as soon as you turn up on their doorstep to trade they’re just going to ask their henchmen to relieve you of your bounty.

Better to have stuff to trade with the fellow commoners that will surround us in the future.

Even one we do reach the ‘poo hit the fan’ stage it will probably take a few to several years & most PPL wont recognise it for what it really is until after the event.

The question is, is that time now?

DB346DB346

agreed Geoff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.