Aussies Living Simply

Busylizzies Winter Vegie Patch

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE The Garden Log Busylizzies Winter Vegie Patch

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 335 total)
  • Author
    Janine

Have your grown tomatoes over winter? I have grown capsicums and been delighted what a head start they have had over seedlings in the next warm season, we get heaps of frost here so I was suprised that they survived, no fruit in the cold of course.

busylizzie
    Participant

A new Strawberry patch, beside the Lemon tree. Planted with the runners off the old Strawbs. DD3 & DH lurvvvve them.

busylizzie
    Participant

Janine, I have never grown Tomatoes at this time of year before, so a real experiment, I have some in pots as well in the hothouse and next to the house. Hoping for some Tomatoes, there are already flowers on them. My Capsicums are still going from Spring, some are looking alittle worse for wear but Im still able to pick some here and there.

busylizzie
    Participant

The other side of the tree. Nothing like free plants.

Janine

It will be very interesting to see how you go, good luck with that one :tup:

busylizzie
    Participant

Well thats all I have time for today folks, will put some more pics up tomorrow and show you the Copperhead snake that came to the garden at the back door for Mothers Day. :noapprove:

ps. Lynnie will try to add a little every day so your not so bored at work 😉

geminisc

cooperhead snake??

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

*runs away*

LOOKIT all dat cow poo. *drools* :lol::lol::lol:

Looks like you have lots of nice dark soil. *looks soulfully back at own rocky soil*

Gooooo Garden Beds!! :tup:

Kasalia

I am also trying Burkes tomatoes so far the tall tree ones are alright and I think a siberiean the others just didnt take. Have flowers also and a few green ones. just tied them up today. :tup:

Gianna

Looking good Lizzie. :tup:

sue e

that must be why you’re called busylizzie. you are such a productive little thing! looks good!:tup:

Boonahgirl

Hi BusyLizzie and others in frost prone areas – what do you guys put over your frost intolerants to protect them? We have seen frost mat (much like vylene stiffening used for sewing) but we haven’t been able to buy any as yet and the frosts are a coming to Boonah way. Any hints would be gratefully received. Thanks for the new garden log – great seeing your successes.

lynnie

Hey Busy, thanks hon, muchly appreciated. Now only if the works proxy server didn’t classify page 1 as marijiuna that would be even better 😆

busylizzie
    Participant

😆 Hey Gem, isnt it funny when we get crazy over poop.

Heres the 4ft Copperhead snake that paid us a visit on Sunday. DD6 spotted it when she came out the back door, which is only metres away. She then yelled out to me as I was over at the hothouse, she promptly went back inside and came out the front door to show me where it was. DH was down the back and had to come up and then proceed to dig the garden up to find it, (will post pic later of the mess) It was very slow moving and very fat, we did find him, he went down a hole that came out between a large rock and the retaining wall just inches from all my herb pots that I pick from most days. But the most frightening thing is, that I was sitting on that wall not 10 minutes before the snake was spotted, this garden is right next to our entertaining area, the girls play out here and the path that leads to pretty much every place I go each day 😮 The first snake we have seen around the house in 7 years.

busylizzie
    Participant

He has been relocated…….to a better place

busylizzie
    Participant

Sue, Busylizzie is actually from a packet of seeds I had sitting on my desk when I joined up, Impatiens they were. So now everyone knows Sue that my real name is not Lizzie 😆 oh but I am busy at times.

Kasalia, I was a bit slack putting the seeds in earlier, your doing well to have some green ones already. Will show you mine later.

Thanks Gianna and Lynnie.

Boonahgirl, I dont usually plant anything that the frost will kill, this is the first time I have planted Tomatoes at this time of year, I have plastic around them so far, will let you know when its time to add something else.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 335 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.