Aussies Living Simply

Busylizzies Vegie Patch

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE The Garden Log Busylizzies Vegie Patch

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 267 total)
  • Author
    Fishfood

Love the onion what are you going to do with that lot[dry them ]

lynnie

your garden is so organised…. I am well jealous…. what fabulous scenery around your property…..

busylizzie

Thanks Fishfood, will be hanging them up and using for cooking as required, had not thought of drying them, might have to look into that and give it ago with a few of them. Do you dry them? Just noticed a couple of days ago, that some of them are quite huge.

Thanks Lynnie, We love where we live, and love to look out at the scenery its very relaxing and quiet. I put alot of thought into the vegie patches, and alot of hard work. We only extended the yard last year for this new area, so I got to plan it out from scratch, so thats why it looks so organised.

busylizzie

This is the size of some of the Onions, I think its the result of some of the unusual hot weather we have had lately.

busylizzie

Heres the 2nd patch, front few rows are Peas (Greenfeast and Telephone) Have picked nearly 4kgs of shelled peas from these.:tup: They were going really well until we went to Melbourne for 2 days last week, I came home to Powdery Mildew covering them. :rip:The humid weather we had didnt help at all. Tried milk and water spray but it didnt help much, probably have only one more harvest to pick from them now.

busylizzie

At the back of Peas are some climbing Beans (Blue Lake and Haricot) and 4 rows of Potatoes. On the weekend I extended the patch by another metre and a half, and have planted Sweet Potatoe, Butter, Lima, Blackeyed Beans and am trying some Peanuts :shrug: will see how these grow.

Fishfood

busylizzie wrote:

Thanks Fishfood, will be hanging them up and using for cooking as required, had not thought of drying them, might have to look into that and give it ago with a few of them. Do you dry them? Just noticed a couple of days ago, that some of them are quite huge.

Thanks Lynnie, We love where we live, and love to look out at the scenery its very relaxing and quiet. I put alot of thought into the vegie patches, and alot of hard work. We only extended the yard last year for this new area, so I got to plan it out from scratch, so thats why it looks so organised.

Yes i have dried heaps they keep easley 18 months and when dry chop them into a onion salt and a teaspoon is equivilent to one or two large onions in soups ect

busylizzie

Fishfood, Sounds interesting, how exactly do you dry them? I am always looking for different ways of preserving the food I grow.

busylizzie

This is my harvest for today, my first for Rhubarb, which is in its second year, DH has been asking for Rhuburb for a long time, so hopefully I can cook some up tonight and that he will enjoy it. :|The last of the peas, the mildew is making them look pretty crappy,:rip: but they still taste nice and sweet. Always 6 eggs a day, (7 chooks). Zuchinni are just starting to grow this week and well the Youngberries are pretty full on at the moment and we could pick a couple of kgs a day (we dont) DH is taking some to work to sell and I will freeze some and make some jam with the excess.

busylizzie

Okay, now the ramblings, cant help myself now that I know how to post pics:shy: To me growing vegies,(and fruit) isnt just about growing them, but what you do with them after they are ripe. My addiction is Fowler Vacola, in the last 12 months I have succeeded in buying from op-shops and from putting signs up(and freebies) well over, well lets say more then enough. I have stopped looking now, but yesterday I was looking for jars(not fowlers) for my new Pressure Canner (that Im getting for Xmas, which is sitting in its box in the hallway, which Im not allowed until xmas:noapprove: and the lady in the shop said, theres a box with Fowlers out the back you are welcome to go through. Sooo couldnt resist, $8 for the lot, 7 x 20, 1×31 24 stainless lids and 32 clips. So sorry, just have to share. So then I figured Id saved $$$ and promptly went to HomeHardware and bought 10 size 14, for the Canner.;)

Bullseye

Wow, great vegie patch busylizzie. Those berries look delicious. :metal:

bluezbandit

Keep sending the pictures I do enjoy them. Your produce looked lovely! Like a harvest festival display.

Deb

busylizzie

:tdown:Thanks Bullseye and Bluezbandit, I was enjoying seeing pics of your garden as well Bluezbandit, but you havent posted anything for awhile. We have just had 23mm of rain in the last day so everything is growing fast including the weeds, :tdown: So busy in the next week and all I want to do is get out and garden and put the drippers onto the pipes so I dont have to hand water. I have the garden set up with polypipe and drippers/sprays all attached to a timer so I can go away and not worry about anyone having to water for me. Should get of this damn computer and go and do it.:)

bluezbandit

I’m havesting and eating what I planted so not a lot to look at at the moment. When a lettuce gets pulled in goes a cucumber. You know what I mean. My spuds are humungous and flowering so I hope there are some taties under there! I have been busy getting my school reports out so mot much time for frivolous things like taking pics. After Xmas when I get back from my holidays I will put some more up.

Deb

busylizzie

Just about to harvest my 2 small beds of Garlic, and am hoping I am picking it at the right time. Have bought minced Garlic in a jar for years now and decided it was time to grow my own, suppose I will have to buy a garlic press as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 267 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.