Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Busylizzies Vegie Patch

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE The Garden Log Busylizzies Vegie Patch

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 267 total)
  • Author

busylizzie wrote:

Ok Stark, as requested here is a couple of pics of my Melons, the first ones are my biggest, Canteloupe and Honeydew. These should be nice and juicey.

Thanks Busylizzie those do look nice and juicy and as seems normal one is a bit bigger than the other…hope you enjoy them:wave:

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

hahahaha.. you lot are funny! Nice to see a bit of humor about the place 😉

lynnielynnie

I am still jealous!!!!

hmmm wonder if I can preserve my weeds??? 😆

Cracking job with the toms :clap:

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

:wave:Humbug, by the tone of things around here lately, we do need a bit of humour 😐

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Yeah busylizzie.. humour is always a good thing :tup:

sallisalli

Absalutally beautiful garden busylizzie!! you need to be very proud of yourself!! And thank you so much for sharing it with us it has been very inspiring thank you!!:clap:

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Lynnie, depends on which weeds they are, whether you could eat them or not 😆

Hi Salli and thanks, I think I feel the proudest when we are sitting down for tea and every vegie on the plate is from the garden and when the hothouse is 3/4 full of home grown seedlings :shy: oh and when the garden is weed free (usually at the start of the season) Oh and by the way, you said way back when I joined you use to live in Yarram and Port Albert, we use to get our chooks from there and my Brother lived in Yarram for quite a few years as well, so yes is a small world. :wave:

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Got out on the weekend, much cooler weather for gardening. Dug the last of the spuds this morning, heres a pic of half Nicola and half Coliban, this is one row of four that I planted. Fantastic harvest this season, didnt lose many to rot or sunburn at all, heaps better then last year. Will weigh them when I bag them up today. Potato is a staple in our house. I think I only had to buy 5kg of Spuds in the last year and was given 10kg from DS friend whose Dad is a Spud farmer, this lot should see us through till nearly next season. Nothing beats home grown Spuds.:tup:

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Nicola on the left, the seed Potato was given to me for free 2 seasons ago from Goodman seeds when I bought my hothouse from them, I saved some from last year so these have cost me nothing and they are really nice.

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

I think these are a mix of Sebago and Coliban, some are from saved spuds from last season also, hoping to save enough this season for planting next.

BoonahgirlBoonahgirl

Hey Busylizzie, I wish you lived up here, it would give me confidence as I am just starting up my veg garden. We have just built the beds and fenced them off – should be able to start putting in seeds in the next couple of weeks. Not having ventured into produce growing before, my heart is in my mouth about timing of planting, frosts in winter, too much/not enough water????? But reading your posts shows me with a bit of time and experience you can get fantastic results like at your place. Thanks for sharing the photos and all.

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Hi Boonahgirl, Qld is to hot, humid, windy (atm) wet ect for me to ever live up there 😆 I have and still read and read and read, use to be just books but with the internet its a whole new world for information on growing stuff. Its taken a few years to get to where I am with my garden (pregnancies, babies ect postpone weeding and harvesting sometimes) Next Spring will be my biggest and best yet, (fingers crossed) quite a few things I tried on a small scale this season to see how they went before any big plantings, everything has done well. We are in a frost area, and our growing season isnt very long so have to be organised with planting times. We are also lucky we live next to a river and have unlimited water and really good soil. All that said, all you need as you said is abit of time and experience, which is just learning as you go, so good luck with your garden and keep us posted.

Bagged and weighed Potatoes 137kg plus 5kg already harvested

Total 142kg (see pics last page)

sue esue e

fantastic buzzylizzie. yes it is very hot and humid here at the moment and i know i should be getting some seeds going to plant out when this weather eases up(if ever) but just cant muster the enthusiasm to venture outside. when it cools slightly in the arvo to go out the mozzies nearly carry me away. you do inspire me though. thanks for sharing.

boonahgirl the brisbane organic growers inc is a useful site for finding planting times for up here. also there is a forum called” brisbane local food” which has a lot of clever people growing stuff around here.

i agree; we do need to get our old quirky sense of humour happening again on this site. things have been tough and i have to admit that i have stayed away due to the unpleasantness that seems to be washing over us all at the moment but that is such a small component of this great site so let’s HANG ON TO IT!:tup::tup::tup:

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Hi Sue,:wave: yeah it is a great site, gotta love all this wonderful information. I do read everything and just ignore the crap and dont get involved. Im here to learn and to share my garden, thats it, fullstop.

So anyway, I know what you mean about having no motivation to go outside when its hot, I think thats when the weeds take over the garden. I have planted some Cool season Tomatoes (yes more Toms) from the BBY mag, will see how they go down here. Will try 1 of each in the garden, hothouse(in pots) and next to house(in pots) would be nice to have homegrown Tomatoes all year round. Have planted some Lettuce, Spinach, Spring Onions but must get the Brown Onions going.

diannedianne
    Participant

busylizzie wrote:

Ok Stark, as requested here is a couple of pics of my Melons,

:jawdrop: oh you tart. cant beleave you would show your melons off to any stark-raven-mad person who asks.:jawdrop:

well not to be left out;) there not very big but at least are the same size.;)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 267 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.