Aussies Living Simply

Bush tucker garden suggestions!!

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Fruit, Vines, Nuts and Sprouts Bush tucker garden suggestions!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    LeecyLeecy

Just wondering what everyone has in the way of native foods – I have a new garden with a few natives in at the moment, about 10x3m. What would be some good native edible plants to put in there? I really have no idea about native stuff :shy::shy:

PS I have a lemon myrtle in there already.

BobbeeBobbee

Hi Ellice :wave: 😀

We’ve only got a Mountain Pepper. Don’t know how big it grows though. Good luck with the new garden. Hard work but lots of fun I should think. 😉 :tup: :metal: :metal:

scarecrowscarecrow

Hi Ellice :wave:

I had a list of what I’m growing back on on this thread (I’m too lazy to copy it here 😉 ) but I should point out that I’ve chosen ones suitable for my climate (read desert).

It’s great that you are thinking this way…more of us should I think!

sunflowersunflower

There’s heaps – i’ll post a list when i check what i’ve got

why not come along to the SGAP sale on 20 Sept – lots of growers will be there and selling stuff cheap – heaps of good advice too

we have a list of local growers

Off-hand i have beech cherry, midyim, lemon myrtle, blue lily-pilly, riberry, round and finger limes, kangaroo apple, hibiscus …..

oh and why not do a bush food tour at Mt Coot-tha gardens

they are free and plants are labelled

LeecyLeecy

Thanks scarecrow and sunflower – cant believe i didnt know about the gardens at Mt Coo-tha – we have been up there so often but always went to the lookout. And… what is SGAP? and where?

sunflowersunflower

SGAP is the Society for Growing Australian (native/indigenous) Plants. There’s probably (sure to be) a local group near you. Do a google or enquire at the Qld site. We have plant sales a few times a year.

There are two events that day – another at Helidon

You’ll meet enthusiasts from all over at them

sunflowersunflower

Here’s a link

http://www.sgapqld.org.au/

Red DragonRed Dragon

Hi Ellice,

Cornucopia have a listing of Bush Foods on their web site/catalogue…

http://www.cornucopiaseeds.com.au/ click on Browse our products and then select Bush Seeds. They only ahve half a dozen, but it may be a good starting point.

BobbeeBobbee

Hi there sunflower :wave: Nice to meet you. :metal:

Sorry to be OT Ellice, but what do you do with lilly pilly please sunflower?

And does it have to be a specific type? :geek: :shrug:

:rol::rol::rol: ‘Cos we have those also. 😀 😀

Ooops…….edited to give Ellice two els. :shy::shy::shy:

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Hi Bobbee,

Ellice won’t mind you being OT (I think).

I made lilly pilly jelly a couple of years ago. (like jam but without the lumps). It was bootiful!

The boss has a recipe here somewhere.

Steve

KirstyKirsty

You can also dye fabric with lilly pilly:tup:

BobbeeBobbee

Thanks Steve and kirsty. :clap: :clap:

Steve do you mind asking the boss (?) :lol::lol: if you may please put the recipe up here. Maybe in the recipe section? 😉 🙂

I would appreciate that very much. I’ll even send the boss a smiley, via here, of course. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

paulaorganicpaulaorganic

The gardens at Mt Cootha are great elliceh. :tup::tup: They also have quite a few mature fruit trees that have fruit on so you can see what they eventually look like in years to come.

I have a few bush foods growing, lilly pillys which I eat straight off the tree, they are a bit tart but I love fruit like that. I got a great crop this year, so must try making some jam nest season.

I also have a cedar bay cherry, midyim berry, red finger lime and also a plum pine, none of these have fruited yet as they are only young trees, so can’t tell you what they taste like.

Hopefully I will get a taste in a couple of years. :D:D

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Here ya go Bobbee

Courtesy of “The Schauer Fruit Preserving Book”

LILLIPILLI JELLY – Wash lillipillis, just cover with cold water, boil 1 hour, press down, strain. Allow 1 cup heated sugar and 1 dessertspoon lemon juice to each cup of juice. Cook quickly till it jellies.

There was more general info at the start of the chapter but it went on for a couple of pages. The boss says if you know how to make jam, you will be right.

Steve

BobbeeBobbee

Yep the boss is right Steve. I’m an old jam maker from way back when………. 😉 :tup: 🙂

Your info is exactly what I needed. Thank you very, very much. :clap: :clap: :metal:

Smiley as promised for the Boss :hug::hug::kiss1: :lol::lol::lol:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.