Aussies Living Simply

broken toe- how long to heal?

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up broken toe- how long to heal?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    GirlFridayGirlFriday

I fell and broke my fourth metatarsal last night. Has anyone broken a toe on here? how long did it take to heal? Anything i can do to make it heal quicker??:shrug:

I googled and read that it can take up to 8 weeks to heal. Im getting married in 5 weeks!:jawdrop:

ccBearccBear

Not much you can do, just try not to injurer it and you should be able to walk down the aisle looking all radiant.

HerbmanHerbman

Hi GirlFriday – I broke my little toe in a bike crash a few years ago. There was nothing I could do to fix it because it was too small.

It took about 6 weeks before I was walking without pain and about 1 year before I could let DW come near it when we practiced reflexology on each other. And then another 6 months before she could pull on it without it hurting.

DS broke his big toe about 2 weeks ago. He has a metal splint on it and is walking fine already. He has been directed to do light duties for 6 weeks with the metal splint on (he also cut it badly and needed stitches).

Maybe it depends on the toe, the treatment and your personal ability to heal. I am a slow healer and DS is a tough nut.

baringaparkbaringapark

A-G-E-S!

BullseyeBullseye

Toe bloody long 😉

GirlFridayGirlFriday

lol Bullseye. Its the forth toe- not the little toe. The radiographer was surprised that on xray i had only seemed to have broken that toe and not any of the others. It hurts like mad and it swollen twice the size of my other foot.:uhoh:

I am getting it plastered tomorrow and i will ring my chiro who also does homeopathy. might get DH to harvest me some comfrey from the garden and do a compress (if i can remember how). DH is going to hire me some crutches from the chemist (and hopefully pick up some pain meds) so i should be able to get around.

Im a nurse- usually i am the helper not the helpee (or helpless!:|)

So any ‘alternative’ medicine ideas out there to help me??

thanks everyone:D

BullseyeBullseye

Ouch, that must be very painful. :hug:

GirlFridayGirlFriday

It is indeed!:tdown:

StephanieStephanie

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your toe. Broken bones usually take about 6 weeks to knit back together but continue to grow stronger for some time. Usually the plaster is removed at about 6 weeks unless there are complications. I suggest elevation and ice to reduce the swelling. good luck.

Cheers

TeacupTeacup

Oh… that is painful.:awch: Hope you are feeling better soon GF. Taking some anti-inflammatories might be a good idea. Rest up. Try to stay off that foot.:hug:

GirlFridayGirlFriday

Thank you everyone. We hired some crutches today so i can at least hobble to the loo. :tup:taking pain relief and anti inflammatories- have a comfrey poultice on it at the moment.

a friend of mine is an ortho nurse and she said pretty much what everyone else on here said. RICE.:)

bluezbanditbluezbandit

Comfrey ointment works a treat!

Deb

darlsdarls

Ouch! – yup RICE as usual – sad that it has to be so slow and long, eh?

Cheers from another occassional toe-broken sufferer. :hug:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.