Aussies Living Simply

Brissy to Melbourne Nov/Dec 2009 **DATE CHANGED**

Home Forums Regional Groups Connecting Brissy to Melbourne Nov/Dec 2009 **DATE CHANGED**

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Herbman

Am hard in training … Am quite nervous about the crossing from Tumut to Healesville so that’s making me train harder.

The stories of mountains and heat haven’t yet turned me off …

Herbman

Ooh I’m really excited. Today we are going to sort out a new (66% recycled) treadly. It’s going to be MTB style so will be able to take dirt road detours if the traffic is too much on the main roads.

And I’ve read in a magazine that French Island is a beautiful place to cycle but requires MTB … hmmm wonder whether I can fit that in at the end of my ride :tongue:

Oh bring on 4 weeks of cycling and camping and no worries except whether I’m going to make the requisite 100km in the day :metal:

We are off to China next week and when we get back it’s only 3 months to the ride (though I want the time in China to go really slowly!) Am really excited hey.

Tassie Tiger

Hey Herbman what about Brissy to Melbourne via Tasmania now that would be exciting:metal: Sounds like a great trip though. Will you keep us up to date with live web cam:tup:

Melissa

Hey Herby i see your are going through Gunnedah thats about 80ksish from Me out here in Quirindi would love to have you visit if you are able ??? let me know:):):):):):):):):):):)

Herbman

Ooh Melissa – sounds like I’m going to have to find a way to make my way through Quirindi. Won’t be finalising my itinerary until September, but am hoping to find ways to pass as many ALSers as possible.

I’m marking locations on my map as to where people are who respond 🙂 Though Sydney, Tassie, Maryborough and Cairns are all a bit far away :kiss:

Margo

Hey Andy we’re at Beechworth (NEVic) about 45k of hilly rds from Albury. but by then Jerry will have a bike rack so you could get a lift from ALbury and back again if you want to come for a sleepover!!

edited to add: Then again from here you can ride on a lovely rail trail cycle path all the way to Lady B’s – well within your 80-100k ride, and it’s downhill or flat most of the way!

Jeanie
    Participant

Call in to see me and kirsty on the way back its only in the Mallee, Yanac & Rainbow you’ll get a bed and feed and a lift to Mildura all flat country :tup:

Lolly
    Keymaster

French Island is wonderful Andy. I’ve been going there all my life.. 🙂 When my grandfather got back from the war he and his brother build two shacks on the foreshore at Tankerton and he’s 87 now and they’re still there! Sadly once he passes they will have to go, but I’m wondering if the locals might just keep them there as an historical conversation point (or something?!)

I’ve spend many an evening eating fresh fresh whiting and listening to the water lapping at the shore – the last time I stayed was about 6 years ago and my grandfather and I were treated to a wonderful pink lightning display over Westernport Bay. Awesome!

Have a fantastic and safe journey – I’ll be watching this thread with interest and hopefully we may be able to meet once you arrive in Melb.. 😀

Herbman

Hey Margo and Lady B – I have the link to the Rail Trail on my computer now. Think I will head that way instead of further east over the mountains. It wasn’t on my radar properly before b/c road bike – but now am free to take it. Looks fantastic.

Margo – would love to take you up on visit offer.

Lolly – thanks for the tip about French Island. Sounds like a beautiful place

Margo

:tup::tup:

Melissa

it would be great to meet up with you Quirindi is a lovely little place just let me know when the time comes if you are able to come through here

:hug:

Herbman

I picked up the purple beastie today. As you can see – it’s not glamorous but I rode it home tonight and it was just grand! Such a relaxed bike to ride. Something about looking down at mudguards feels sorta European and chilled.

The orange tape is because I was in a hurry to get my lights mounted at work so just taped them on instead of fitting them properly :shy:

I am so looking forward to spending some time setting it up by properly attaching the lights, trailer, 2nd drink cage and reflective stickers.

Can you tell I’m excited about my end of year adventure?

Herbman

I’ve finally confirmed my route plan and have found a way to pass through all your towns (well, except Cairns, Maryborough and Syndey 😆 ) …

Have PMed people along the way to let you know when I think I should be passing through.

I hope to be in Melbourne proper on 20 – 21 January 2010. I don’t think I’ll be staying long in Melbourne because know I’ll be missing my DW desperately so hope to be able to organise a courier to take the pushy back, book a flight and maybe meet up with some Melbournian ALSers if you are up for it (or eat alone aka Nev) 😉 …

Know it’s ages off for normal people, but think we’ve already established that I’m a bit crazy – cycling to Melbourne is just the first clue 😆 …

Preparation is in full swing – everything from training my body, trying out different dehydrated foods, route planning and preparing mentally. My bike & trailer look a bit funny in the work carpark because they are the only one with tent, sleeping bag and other camping stuff on it.

Herbman

It was 2 months until departure on Monday just past. I can’t believe its getting so close. I got the new trailer last week and hope to get it attached to the bike this weekend. The new trailer is bigger, lighter and the wheels are much better quality.

Looking forward to trying it out next week to get back into training after a slow two weeks. Need to get some reflective strips to sew onto the trailer’s cover for increased visibility.

Melissa – I think I’m going to be in Quiriindi on New Year’s Eve not New Year’s Day. I understand if that’s bad timing. I will be coming from Tamworth so likely to be coming through in the morning.

Margo and Lady B – Also likely to be passing through your necks of the woods a day or two earlier than previous email. I have lost my itinerary so will have to work it all out again *rolls eyes at own lack of organisation*

Lolly and Dan – Would love to catch up when I’m in Melbourne. Not yet sure of how long I’ll be there. Hoping to book a flight when I am closer to the finish and know when I’ll be in town.

Humbug – To avoid confusion – the date changes above are because I PMed everyone before we organised date for your place. So still gonna be at your place on 14th so have that clothes peg ready for your nose :rol:

Weaver – If you are around in early Jan, would love to meet up while I pass through Albury. If you want to.

Cannot wait to spend a month sleeping in a tent and worrying about nothing but riding along the road looking at the scenery.

Hummer
    Keymaster

Humbug – To avoid confusion – the date changes above are because I PMed everyone before we organised date for your place. So still gonna be at your place on 14th so have that clothes peg ready for your nose :rol:

I have hose & I’m not afraid to use it 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.