Aussies Living Simply

bread

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    RobyneRobyne

Sons neighbour who works for a major bread company gave me a couple of loaves of cafe fruit bread. When I used to put it up it was large slices of bread the same size as sandwhich bread but now its half the size same price. :jawdrop: It annoys me as a lot of elderly people love it as a evening meal when their main meal is a lunch time so again we are being ripped off :angry:

The companies think we the shoppers are the idiots but it is them but they never learn. I used to pass on all the complaints to our sales people and I wondered if it was ever passed on. Now I tell the neighbour to pass it on and he said they recoken they never hear of any complaints. Maybe if they did they might not rip us us

ClarafloClaraflo

Airgead post=337189 wrote:

Bread….it’s over-rated, and over-priced.

Sacrilege! Bread (good bread that is) is the food of the gods. Nothing beats a crusty loaf. Especially sourdough…

I agree with you about the ‘good bread’ part Dave. Unfortunately my mother force fed all of us her homemade bread including sourdough. The problem is, she makes terrible bed. It’s always heavy, doughy, half cooked and sometimes even has a centre that’s still raw and an outside that’s hard as a brick….. :sick: She thinks its the best thing on earth, I and my siblings haven’t got the heart to tell her that soggy, doughy bread that doesn’t spring back up after it’s cut is just vile.

I’m not an advocate of commercial bread by any means, and I make my own spelt croissants when I get a hankering and have some time, which is rare. But I’ve been turned off homemade bread for life and since I only eat it very occassionally I don’t want to take the chance that my once per year eggs on toast will be ruined by a half-cooked on the inside, blackened on the outside loaf. :S

crystalcrystal

Sorry, i never read the post about the sourdough starter! Glad some one else answered it! I agree that its not ‘Bread’ in general that people cant tolerate, its commercial bread. Sourdough is easy, and has no cultured yeast, it is fermented on ‘wild’ yeast, which is ‘good’ yeast! As long as your using good quality ingredients you can make just about any type of bread using a sourdough starter. If you dont like overly sour bread, try making a new batch of starter for a fruit loaf. It wont be as sour as a 15 y/o starter 😉 Over on another forum we have been experimenting with sourdough starters in a no knead bread and have had a lot of success! With anything, practice makes perfect, homemade bread just takes practice, or use the no knead recipes!

gartenfeegartenfee

Hi,

i agree with you all, shop bought bread is over priced and all that.

we love our home made bread.

i am just a bit at a loss here with the sour dough starter for a no knead bread. how much off the starter do you use Crystal?

fruitfulfruitful

ok, i tried the sourdough starter the second time and it looked good after the two days, nice a bubbly and all but on the third day – after i mixed equal amounts of water and flour and mixed it on the second day – there was a layer of liquid on top, it smelt okay but i didn’t like the look of it once i had mixed in my next batch of “food”. the next day there was white mould on it! is this the standard process of a starter?? am i doing the right thing by mixing the flour and water before i mix it into the starter or should i just sprinkle the flour on top and then put the water on that and not mix??

thanks if you can help.

Vicky

AirgeadAirgead

Hummm… mould is usually not a good sign. It is an occupational hazard when making a starter though, especially in damp, mouldy weather.

If its not too bad you can try scraping it off and keeping on going but if its right the way through then its time to start again.

I usually cover mine with gladwrap or a teatowel to stop mould getting in. There is plenty of wild yeast and lacto bacteria in the flour to get the starter going without leaving it open to the air.

A liquid layer is quite normal and is a sign that the starter has eaten all its available food – time to feed. Actually you want to feed before it forms the liquid layer as that’s a sign that it is really hungry and is getting stressed. A stressed starter is more likely to get a mould infection. If your starter is really vigorous you may need to feed twice a day. Or you can slow things down by keeping it in the fridge.

Cheers

Dave

RobyneRobyne

the new Tip Top bread was marked down to 99c a loaf today as noone is buying it. The girl who runs the department said a lot of people are starting to make their own so its catching on around town :clap: :tup:

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

plus homemade bread is way more filling than the supermarket stuff, so you wont go thru it as quick

RobyneRobyne

I made a loaf in the bread maker when the 3 boys were teenagers and they had 1 slice each and the whole loaf dissappeared. :jawdrop: :shrug:

KarmaKarma

Look what I bought, having a great time grinding my own wheat and making fresh bread.

PeterDPeterD

I’m with Dave, fresh home made bread (once you can finally make it that is!) is bloody great!

I have the Dark Rye Sourdough almost down pat now after a false start. I had to get a premix from the wholesalers as I have had tough luck sourcing cereal rye grain and high protein wheat for my grain mills.

I am in the middle of wheat (cake/plain flour) and barley (brewing grade used to make Joe White Malts) so I guess I am lucky in that respect but for bread you need real bread flour. The best higher protein is grown in N-NSW/QLD areas.

I have a wholegrain mix as well to try so that will make some very yummy sourdough.

One word of warning to read the packet with a premix, they actually premixed salt into that and I followed a recipe of Dave’s and added salt per normal and had some very salty bread…. or the chooks did at least and had a ball eating it up.

The chooks are great, they got all the mouldy breads and disaster breads on the road to learning to make it proper.

Don’t give up and keep trying.

EDIT: Yes I’ve seen huge disgusting prices for SuperMarkUP bread as well. As high as getting a proper organic, wood fired sourdough from Red Beard Bakery (one of the last wood fired Scottish oven bakeries left in Australia) and that is disgusting! as is the SuperMarket bread’s taste. My wholesale premix prices are about $2/kilo for proper commercial bread bakery premixes and that SuperMarket bread was not even a kilo in weight. I’d always put the time and effort and bit of electricity for the oven in to make it properly myself. SuperMarket bread I would not even pay $2 a loaf for, I only get it at $0.99 to feed the Geese every once in a while to keep them people-tame and thats all Coles/Wollies/IGA are getting from me.

Cheers,

PeterD

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

Robyne post=337301 wrote: I made a loaf in the bread maker when the 3 boys were teenagers and they had 1 slice each and the whole loaf dissappeared. :jawdrop: :shrug:

oh oops lol well scrap what I said then lol

fruitfulfruitful

thanks for the reply Airgead, i’ll give it another go, this time covered and checking it more closely. fingers crossed

:hug:

AirgeadAirgead

No Problem.

if you have trouble, shoot me a PM and I can send you out some of my starter (which is named Fred). I bake every weekend and always have some spare. I think there are upwards of 30 colonies of Fred around the country now.

Cheers

Dave

StefStef

Anyone have good links on how to make your own sourdough bread ? Would love to start it ?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.