Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Bread Making

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    BelBel

Good luck at Gaganis sipi – I could spend hours there (and do)!! Last time I was there, I wasn’t impressed with their selection of bread tins, so I’ll be interested to see how you go. I’m going to try this place at Edwardstown, but will call first to see whether they sell to the public or just wholesale – All Bake. I’m going to need a lot of bread tins/pans etc once DH has finished the wood oven – only 3 bricks to go WOOHOO! The other thing at Gaganis was that I found it hard to work out what ingredients were in some of the bigger bags of flour and the staff don’t seem to know either – now I just stick to 12.5kg bags of Allied Mills wholemeal and ‘Supberb’ unbleached white flour.

I also blew-up my lovely Breville mixer the other day mixing bread dough 🙁 DH says I should buy a Kenwood or Kitchen Aid as a replacement, but I don’t know that they’d be any better. Or perhaps a thermomix – I just finished bagging them and convincing myself that I don’t need one, but maybe I do?? Does anybody know somewhere in Adelaide that might fix my Breville without it costing as much as a new one?? I think I’ll just stick to mixing by hand or getting my slaves, I mean children, to mix/kneed with me. Wish I wasn’t having a lazy dough day the other day so my mixer was still ok…..

SnagsSnags

There are big industrial ones on Ebay that are not that far of the same price as a good Kenwood or Kitchen Aide mixer.

You might knead it with the new oven 😆

sipisipi

I have a KM270 Kenwood. I bought it a few years ago now. It doesn’t have the section where you can attach a mincer or juicer etc.

Mum has an older Kenwood, but higher model where you can add the mincer or juicer attachments if you purchase those separately.

Mum makes bread everyday or so in hers. But she is Coeliac, so it is all gluten free mixtures which do have a different consistency.

I noticed how well this Kenwood mixed cakes etc over the sunbeam mixer I previously had. So maybe a better Kenwood or Kitchen Aid would do well mixing dough regularly?

My motor is a 1000w locked motor – I just looked under it. I don’t know if Kitchen Aids or other Kenwoods have a higher wattage motor available.

Target had an ‘imitation’ Thermomix out a couple of months ago – a Bellini something for $280 on special.

I have read some reviews – some say it is just as good, but others say there is no comparison. It is a bit like anything I guess, depends what you are doing with it and how much do you have to spend. But then that was talking about general cooking and not mixing doughs.

I just can’t outlay that sort of money at this point in our lives. I did buy my Kenwood on sale at 40% off or something like that, so didn’t pay too much for that, but definitely use it.

Mum has an old Breville Breadmaker that we had a year or so ago. We were going ok making our own bread, but the rubber seal between the pan and knead blade perished. I googled and I couldn’t find anywhere that I could get the part for it. But it may be due to it’s age.

I seem to think there is an appliance repair place on Unley Road near Malvern. Not sure why I am thinking that – I have never used it, but someone must have told me or mentioned it at some point and it is in the memory bank somewhere.

P

diannedianne
    Participant

hay there,

you can get bigger kenwoods but it shouldnt matter too much. I have one and made the bread surjested in the book that came with it and it was great. if it is getting too much for your machine just turn it off for a min. or two and then mix some more. Also if there is alot of dough after the very first mix of all the ingreadents take it out and halve it and mix in lots. My mum used to make bread every second day in her old kenwood (from the sixties) no problem. as long as you use the dough hook and dont over work the machine.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

Snags post=348143 wrote: Are the loaves small?

My sister has a machine and they seem like half loaves.

mine is the Ultimate Bakers oven from Breville

it does 3 sizes, 750gm – 1kg – 1.25kg

SnagsSnags

That sounds perfect

just read some reviews on it they sound good too.

If the mixer dies I will look for one in a garage sale.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

Snags post=348163 wrote: That sounds perfect

just read some reviews on it they sound good too.

If the mixer dies I will look for one in a garage sale.

I have had mine for a good few years

MiaowzenMiaowzen

Sipi the main reason for sourdough (other than the delicious flavour) is that the fermentation process reduces the amount of phytates in the grains. In their natural state grains are not good for humans to eat because phytates bind with minerals such as calcium and iron and caused them to be passed out of the body undigested. Eating a lot of quick rise (yeast) bread can be harmful to health. When fermented, the phytates are broken down by enzymes and so a much greater amount of nutrition can be absorbed.

MiaowzenMiaowzen

Snags, which kenwood did you break making dough? The good guys is selling kenwood chef classic for $335 and I can get a grain mill attachment for it for another $165. I don’t really have the budget but you said you needed a bigger one for bread making. Which do you recommend?

sipisipi

Miaowzen, I think it was Bel who blew up her Breville. I previously blew up my Sunbeam with gingerbread dough. Snags was suggesting to buy an industrial one off ebay

I think alot of it comes down to the wattage of the motor and the toughness of it – ie is it made of metal or plastic – is the dough hook metal? Is the bowl metal?

P

SnagsSnags

The one I broke was a the cheaper slightly older version of this

It broke the plastic catch that holds it down

The hook caught on a ball of dough jumped up and snapped the button.

Then it still mixed but only if I leant on it.

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/10/23/mixer-cooker.jpg

The new one is this one

http://www.powerbuys.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/300x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/k/e/kenwood-mixer_2.jpg

It seems to have clutch to not burn out the motor,when the going gets tough you see it slip until it gets the dough back in position.

Probably not going to last forever and is probably more for cakes than bread, but it gets a weekly workout with a few loaves and is still doing well.

sipisipi

My Kenwood is the same as that new one that Snags has.

SO maybe I should just try doing bread in that & skip the breadmaker!

I will give it ago when my sourdough starter progresses a bit further!

P

MiaowzenMiaowzen

I’m not going with the ken wood chef classic as it doesn’t come with the accessories. Waste of money then as the accessories are expensive!

I’m getting a kenwood chef alas like the one Snags blew up, because i want to use the grain mill attachment with it, and the grain mill specifically fits the Chef and Major models and I don’t have a budget for a more expensive one.

To be honest given that I’ve never made a cake in my life I don’t think I need anything fancier. If it blows up making bread dough or using the grain grinder then I’ll get a bigger one, but the motor has a four year warranty so I would have still got my money’s worth in bread if i used it for four years and that happened out of warranty.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.