Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Bread Making

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    sipisipi

Hi

I am new here and as a mother of 4 we are looking to save money and eat healthier.

I am seriously considering making our own bread.

What have people’s experiences been? Am I best to get a breadmaker? If so, what sort/brand?

Does it end up cheaper than buying the cheap woolworths loaves?

Is it easier to make an artisan or sourdough type of bread, or something I don’t need to knead?

Any advice tips or suggestions/ info would be appreciated?

GumnutGumnut

Hi Sipi,

If you are interested in sourdough I suggest checking out this thread https://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au/forum/homecooked-food-recipe-request/341935-sourdough-starter – lots of interesting info and lots of very knowledgable people sharing their info. Lots of us are still learning there too.

For non-sourdough bread you could try a recipe for 5 minute bread http://down—to—earth.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/five-minute-bread.html or basic bread http://down—to—earth.blogspot.com.au/2009/02/baking-bread.html

I have a bread machine but very very rarely use it but I like kneading the dough and find I get nicer results that way but what the machine does is good too. They can be pricey though so if budget is a consideration you can start without one. I shape my loaves “freehand” – good video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MVHDdDtuRc but if you’re only just learning you might want to just use a bread tin.

With regard to cost – to be honest I’m not sure how it works out but I would say once you have your ingredients (flour, grain, yeast etc) it would work out cheaper in the long run (I haven’t bought bread in ages but assume it’s about $3 a loaf?). If you buy flour etc in bulk that makes it cheaper still. I guess one of the main reasons I make my bread is that I like knowing what’s in it. I find my sourdough loaf lasts two days for sandwiches etc and if it’s not eaten makes great croutons (for soups or salad) or breadcrumbs (for yummy crumbed chicken tenders). These keep really well as long as they are dried in an oven and then put in a sealed container 🙂

All the best of luck but be warned this bread making caper can be addictive! You’ve definitely come to the right place as there are lots of helpful people here 🙂

artemiaartemia

Check out the No knead recipe. Not sure who posted it but i tried it and i hate cooking. It is great and no need for a bread maker. 45 mins in the oven

casalentacasalenta

artemia post=348105 wrote: Check out the No knead recipe. Not sure who posted it but i tried it and i hate cooking. It is great and no need for a bread maker. 45 mins in the oven

Here’s the link:

Not sure how to get this embedded. I’ve tried a few times and given up, but there should be something to click on. If not just go to Youtube and search for “No knead bread New York”.

It’s great and I love this bread. Artisan style, crusty and delicious. You can make it in a cast iron camp oven or in a pyrex casserole dish with a lid.

sipisipi

Thanks, I will check out these links.

I love kneading bread myself, but have a very busy family with a new-born and 3 young children etc. SO realistically it is not going to happen if I have to knead it each time.

I also need a bread that will work for sandwiches & children’s lunches etc, as that is what we mainly do. Or toast in the mornings.

Thanks so much for the links.

SnagsSnags

I have a mixer so I dont knead by hand

Mixer was $250 odd dollars get a good one as bread dough kills weak mixers

I have killed 2 including my old Kenwood still on warranty which was replaced for another bigger kenwood

In my town the baker charges $5 to $6 for bread that looks good on the shelf and tastes like mass produced white bread when you eat it.

I make 3 o4 loaves most weekends

A sour dough loaf some chiabattas and/or some baguettes

It probably costs about 50 cents a loaf and tastes as good as a great loaf of bread that you would gladly pay $5 or $6 for.

If I had kids and had a busy life I would probably get a bread machine from a garage sale (I have seen them for $15) its a lot less hassle

but you wont get the crusts and the size and variation of no bread machine bread.

I have a Breville breadmaker. I love it as it has a timer and I can set it to start in the early hours and we wake up to fresh bread. The biggest hassle is slicing it, though I have noticed if I let it cool it will cut better then.

Buying bread mixes is convenient but takes away from knowing what you are feeding the family. It is really easy to make bread from scratch. It is lovely to know what you feeding your family.

MiaowzenMiaowzen

Snags, do you find that the mixer does a better job of mixing dough than using a bread machine on dough setting?

BelBel

Grrrrr – just wrote a long reply that got lost in cyber space 👿

Anyhoo…..

I bake about 6 x loaves of bread by hand each week – plain, multigrain and fruit loaf. Sometimes make scrolls too – fruit or cheese/vegemite or bacon/cheese. I use regular yeast, as sourdough was a bit labour-intensive and the kids weren’t keen on the sour flavour. I cook the loaves in a loaf cake-tin in the oven which makes a good regular-shape loaves for sandwiches. DH and I both work full time, have 2 kids and a big garden but making bread doesn’t really take that long – just a few short stints over a few hours. DS6 and DD7 both get involved – DD7 does all the initial weighing/mixing/kneeding and I come in at the end to finish the kneeding when her arms get sore! Our home-made loaves are cheaper than store-bought loaves, have so much more substance and flavour and no preservatives/artificial additives. I buy all the staples from Gaganis Bro’s and don’t use premixes. I’m by no means an expert, but happy to share what I know with you one day…..

SnagsSnags

Maizen I dont have a bread machine so i cant compare,but if it does it would be cheaper to buy the machine just to knead instead of a mixer.

They only make small loves though

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I have a big kenwood mixer as well as breadmaker

the mixer cost me a lot of money, I did get it mainly for doing the bread dough – it just sits there looking at me, for some reason I just can’t get the dough right.

so I end up using my breadmaker on dough setting, I prefer it cooked in the oven,

sometimes I do a loaf, sometimes I do rolls, – or pita bread

MiaowzenMiaowzen

I was thinking the same. I don’t like cooking in a bread maker because I find it gets too moist. But having it make dough is convenient and they can be picked up for a song secondhand.

SnagsSnags

Are the loaves small?

My sister has a machine and they seem like half loaves.

sipisipi

Thanks so much for all the info everyone.

I already have a good Kenwood – not the top model- but still has gears and a high motor – I love it for mixing cakes and things, but find that it struggles when I have occassionally made something with a dough, like gingerbread mix, or bread dough. I killed my last mixer – a sunbeam – while mixing gingerbread dough, so opted for a better motor this time. However I still don’t think it would handle bread mixing regularly.

Yes I want to make the bread so I know what is in it & so it is healthier for the family.

I have heard Sourdough is lower GI and healthier, but I guess it is just healthier in a different way to wholegrain. One has more fibre, one is lower GI.

My son is very fussy, so not sure how long it is going to take him to convert.

I have started my starter. Yesterday and it is starting to bubble, so will see how I go.

sipisipi

I will head to Gaganis to get some flours etc.

I am happy to go from scratch or use a bread mix, as long as the mix has the contents clearly listed and contains no preservatives in the mix.

I am mainly going to need something that is easy, and so we can get into the habit and stick to it.

I am getting excited now about a trip to Gaganis. I will be able to buy some bread tins and cooking trays too!

Just need to find a place to store everything – all the flour, tins etc, with 4 children (6 people including a baby) in a small 3bd place!!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.