Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

books that I have read or am reading

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up books that I have read or am reading

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Andrew HobbsPardalote
    Participant

I am reading ‘The Mandibles’ by Lionel Schriver. It follows a family through the collapse of the USA from 2029 to 2047. Well worth reading, and probably has quite a few lessons even for us in Australia.
    Cheers
    Andrew

AlisonCAlisonC

I am reading a non-fiction book called “The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down” by Anne Fadiman. As the sub-title says, it is about ‘A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors and the Collision of Two Cultures”. Eye-opening stuff that is well-written and guaranteed to make you think.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

That sounds interesting AlisonC I will keep an eye out for it.

Penny1765Penny1765

ballamara sorry for the late reply. “The Author of The Oldest Foods on Earth is John Newton”

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Thanks Penny1765 as luck would have it, book depository has a copy. There goes my budget :smiley:

AUSSIEDOWNUNDERAUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

Don’t know if I mentioned this before the book I refer to all the time is
    Pietro Demaio book Preserving the Italian way

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

what is that like ADU ? very different from ours?

Participant

Its a great book worth every cent

SnagsSnags

I have ordered that from his website and he never sent it,I couldnt contact him ,his email addresses are full ,I then got PayPal to contact him ,he sent me an email saying he was sending 2 books and apologised for the book being lost in the mail,,,meanwhile Paypal sent my money back……I will check the post today to see if there are books….I really just wanted the book ,,,I got the library to buy it and borrowed it a few times….Is there anywhere else “normal” to buy it if all this falls through ?

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I checked book depository they don’t have it in stock at the moment :unamused:

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

They do say to try abebooks but I have never dealt with them so don’t know what they are like.

Participant

I got mine from a small shop near brown bros of millawa

AlisonCAlisonC

The Booko site is always worth a look for hard to find items

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I check booko for any book I’m interested in,
    booko.com.au
    I’ve bought from abe books ballamara, they’re fine to deal with, similar to book depository

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Thanks calliecat, it is good to have a few options when searching for books.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.