Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

books that I have read or am reading

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up books that I have read or am reading

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I have just finished reading a novel by Bernard Cornwell “the enemy of god” It is written in the period around 500 AD (I know AD isn’t kosher any more but you know what I mean)  about King Arthur and the battles between the early Christians and pagan Britons. How Arthur wanted peace but at what cost. It is written from the welsh point of view thus the Welsh names are a bit of a challenge. Over all it is an interesting view on Arthurs life rather than the romantic popular view.  

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

sounds interesting, I did read one of Ken Folletts from the 12th century, when they were building a Cathedral, talk about brutal times, my goodness
    but I haven;t really read anything lately except info on fruit trees and forest guilds

SnagsSnags

I do most of my reading on the net
    I occasionally flick through my cook books or permy books

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I still rather like the feel and smell of the real thing. 

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

some books yes I still like to have hard copy of, like my Dick Francis, and some other authors, and gardening  books I like to have in hard copy, I still have a bookcase full of books
    but must admit my kindle has given me access to so many others that I would never have known about,
    I like time travel, and fantasy, like the Rick Riordan  books,

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I have bought a book “A year of Practiculture” it was reviewed in the weekly times sounds good. Has anyone read it ? it is by a ballarat fellow Rohan Anderson

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

What is kindle Calliecat?

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

for e books,

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

https://www.google.com.au/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=kindle&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=7HqIVub1DILTmAXPg5nQAQ

a lot of the books I got were free, but I did buy some through Amazon

also just bought a proper book,creating a food forest

Mike HardingMike Harding
    Participant

Books which have left a lasting impression upon me – in no particular order and it’s an incomplete list:

The Don Camillo series – Giovannino Guareschi: so many human strengths and frailties portrayed.

The Grapes of Wrath – John Steinbeck: I read it 45 years ago and still clearly recall the description of the woman feeding a starving man with her breast milk produced for her, now dead, baby.

The Constant Gardner – John le Carre: Justin’s grief is tangible, tears come easily to me from this book. le Carre’s best and a work of literature.

Nam – Mark Baker: many accounts from US men and women who served in Vietnam. Ordinary people in an extraordinary situation doing extraordinary things… both good and bad.

Why Men Don’t Listen and Women Can’t Read Maps – Allan & Barbara Pease: an insightful analysis of why we are different.

Difficult Personalities – Dr Helen McGrath & Hazel Edwards: an analysis of the main personality types – watch out for the sociopaths.

More later.
    MH

BelBel

Great thread ballamara! I travel an hour each way to work so I listen to a lot of audiobooks in the car. I’m always looking for good books to read. I love Joel Salatin – ‘Folks This Aint Normal’ is great. I also love good fiction. I loved Stieg Larsson’s Millenium Trilogy.

JazJaz

I haven’t read a book in ages! Well, not a me book, the boy started school last year so I have read lots of school readers and the little girl could listen to the musical princess book all day long!
    The Grapes of Wrath left a lasting impression on me too Mike Harding. My top book ever would probably be Jessica by Bryce Courtenay, couldn’t put that one down.

BelBel

I loved Bryce Courtenay’s books too. Can’t believe your son is at school now!

Penny1765Penny1765

I’m reading “The Oldest Foods in the World” It is about how the original Australians farmed extensively and how really amazing the nutrient value of the native species is.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Who is the author Penny1765?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.