Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Book Club

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    TullymoorTullymoor

I’ve just finished The Post Petroleum Survival Guide and Cookbook by Albert Bates. Now I’m into The Long Emergency and World Made by Hand (Kunstler) and dipping in and out of Carla Emery’s housebrick of an encyclopedia on everything to do with everything 😀

I’m finding The Long Emergency not too over my uneducated head and World Made by Hand is beautiful.

What’s everyone reading?

GeoffGeoff
    Keymaster

I’m reading (again :uhoh: ) The Stone Of Farewell by Tad Williams at the moment, needed to escape from all the heavy stuff into something unreal :tup:

I recently read “Forest Gardening” by Robert A de J Hart, which was an interesting book. It discusses a system similar to permaculture (that arose around the same general time though over in England). I like the fact that it was peppered with insights and descriptions of what it was really like to live before the industrial age, practical samples of it so to speak. A peak-oil applicable book though it doesn’t mention it once.

TullymoorTullymoor

Thanks for the tip Geoff, will look out for Forest Gardening :tup:

If you want to escape from the heavy stuff, try World Made by Hand…it’s Kunstler’s novel of life post oil. Horses ploughing fields, people walking to the river to fish, dogs pulling carts….bring it on :clap: Though I’m only a short way into it and the complete lawlessness of his new world may see some not-so-pretty bits happening 🙁

redhen2redhen2

tully, do you recommend bates’ book? i was looking for it with no success.

i’m reading ‘earth users guide to permaculture’, ‘principles and pathways’ (holmgren), the ethics of what we eat (still), ‘i am the clay’ by chaim potok and several other forgotten books next to the bed.

looking for a bodice ripper to lighten it up a bit. 😆

TullymoorTullymoor

bodice ripper!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

creekercreeker

Bodice ripper :lol::lol::lol: go girl

I’m reading “The Victorian Kitchen” by Jennifer Davies, from a tv series in the UK. Fascinating insight into how things used to be done in the big house, and some old recipes too.

SonyaSonya

I’m reading Donald Horne’s the Lucky Country

Peak Everything by Richard Heinberg

Robyn Clayfield’s You can have your permaculture and eat it too

Sonya

TullymoorTullymoor

Kathy, I’ll loan you our copy after J’s read it, if you like? Then you can decide if you want to buy a copy for yourself :tup:

MargoMargo

geoff wrote:

I’m reading (again :uhoh: ) The Stone Of Farewell by Tad Williams at the moment,

Ooooh thanks for reminding me Geoff – I think I have that on the “unread” shelf somewhere…and I need something to read 😀

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

I’m reading Stephen King’s “Duma Key” which I got given for my birthday, and I’m LISTENING to Phoenix (can’t remember the author) and I’ve also got on my desk (waiting for listening to) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

I’ve just finished listening to War of the Worlds, Under Milkwood and “Dead Centre” which was about Peter Falconio’s disappearance.

libran50libran50

A book I got from the library called Secrets. It has 3 short novels by Australian writers Amanda Lowry, Robert Desaix and Drusilla Modjeska around the secrets theme. I’ve nearly finished the one by Druscilla M.

I also bought a novel by Geraldine Brooks who was interviewed on RN this morning. Strangely it was going cheap at KMart!

TullymoorTullymoor

Can you get books on CD or do you have to have one of those new- fangled pod turnouts??

Can we please have some blurb on the books you’re reading/listening to, so we know if we want to read them too? :tup:

TullymoorTullymoor

Also, for a gift, I’m trying to find a copy of Here’s Luck by Lenny Lower. USA sellers have it but won’t post to my address :confused: Also, How Green was my Valley….anyone have an old copies to sell?

My list of books to get is getting longer. I make lists as suggested by authors. Yesterday I shopped at Amazon and hit the red x when it totalled $550+ :jawdrop: Theire prices are cheaper but postage is the killer so I think I’ll just get them in Australia, taking advantage of cheap, or free, postage offers.

I want:

Hubbert’s Peak

Power Down

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

David Holmgren’s Permie book

Permaculture in a Nutshell (to let newcomers read)

Gaia’s Garden

White Flour, White Power (bloody expensive but really want this one)

Peak Everything

Party’s Over

Out of Gas

End of Oil

Create and Oasis with Greywater (there’s a new edition)

Farmers of Forty Centuries

and more…:confused:

WombatWombat

Tullymoor wrote:

I want:

Hubbert’s Peak

Power Down

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

David Holmgren’s Permie book

Permaculture in a Nutshell (to let newcomers read)

Gaia’s Garden

White Flour, White Power (bloody expensive but really want this one)

Peak Everything

Party’s Over

Out of Gas

End of Oil

Create and Oasis with Greywater (there’s a new edition)

Farmers of Forty Centuries

and more…:confused:

Crikey Tulls! you don’t want much!

I’m Reading – How Good Are You? – clean living in a dirt world.

It’s not bad!

Nev

gleanertgleanert

My reading has taken a little U- turn so I am reading “the Unbearable Lightness of Being” by Milan Kundera. I have read this book many times before but not in the last few years.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 122 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.