Aussies Living Simply

Bone dust….??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Queen Mab

Hi everyone,

DP works in the meat dept. of a supermarket & by the end of the day he has heaps & heaps of ‘bone dust’ that comes from using the bandsaw(sp?), he wants me to ask all you knowledgable people whether we could use it for fertaliser on the vegies, & if not, what COULD we use if for?

Cheers!

weaver

Chooks love it!:tup: Dont know about fertiliser -will leave that to someone who knows!:D

Weaver

creeker

I would think it would be a bit whiffy putting it straight on the garden in summer. Even tho it’s called ‘dust’, it’s more like greasy gritty stuff. Flies would love it.

Better to process it through chooks or other birds if you have them.

creeker

:rip: bandsaw beef stock :rip:

I would imagine it might have too much fat in it to use straight in the garden … Pity though as it would contain much the same nutrients as blood and bone. YOu could cook it (boil it up with some water), skim it and then use the juices and residue in the compost heap. Or feed it sparingly to the hens and recycle it into the compost heap that way … How annoying …

Queen Mab

creeker wrote:

:rip: bandsaw beef stock :rip:

😆

…you know what’s crazy… we didn’t even think about the obvious one of bulking up the dog’s food… duh!!! :shy:

Anja

If it was chicken you could sell it to McDonalds for their McNuggets…..

grumpy3

Is it free of mad cows:uhoh:

Dennis

Bubba Louie

You could probably use it if you bury it.

Shirley
    Participant

Knew a landscaper who used to get heaps of it for round his pawpaw trees. He grew beautiful big tasty pawpaws.

I would suggest you put some potash with it .to make a complete fert. & mulch over .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.