Aussies Living Simply

BlueWren's Patch in South East QLD

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE The Garden Log BlueWren's Patch in South East QLD

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 868 total)
  • Author
    BlueWrenBlueWren

Here’s the heavy rain again, as forecast, but I did get a few hours outside this am.Had a major sweep up around the house – a chore that’s been badly neglected during all the rain but the leaves and dust keep gathering anyway. I have completed planting up the mandela guild. It contains the pigeon peas for the chooks, seed potatoes, seedlings of kale, capsicum, eggplant, tomatoes, basil, lettuce ,cabbage,celery, silver beet , beetroot and leeks, plus seeds of more beetroot , seeds of bush beans , carrots and parsley.Took a couple of pics so will add later. I also planted out the rue, and established a “comfrey corner” at the lowest corner of the site. I am very fortunate with drainage – we have a gentle slope,and contour ridges that must have been put in by the original farmer, probably eighty years ago . The soil is good, rich and fertile South Burnett red, and even with all the rain it drains quickly, and during the last two days and today has been perfect to work in. Every day there are dozens of fallen apricots to pick up , most of them chewed by the cockatoos who obviously like half ripe apricot kernels. I’m hoping we will still get a resident Koel for the sound of summer , although it’s not good for the local birds as the Koels are cuckoos. We had one stop by for a morning but the cockies were harassing it and it seems to have moved on.

Well, there’s obviously not going to be any more “outdoors” today so I’m off to town to restock the frig which is decidedly bare.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

BlueWren wrote:

Well, there’s obviously not going to be any more “outdoors” today so I’m off to town to restock the frig which is decidedly bare.

We went to Kingaroy yesterday and stocked up just in case we get flooded in, I should have bought 2 doz eggs but I forgot, but I did get plenty of coffee, milk and sugar 😆

BlueWrenBlueWren

Judi B wrote:

BlueWren wrote:

We went to Kingaroy yesterday and stocked up just in case we get flooded in, I should have bought 2 doz eggs but I forgot, but I did get plenty of coffee, milk and sugar 😆

It was raining/blowing so hard then that I chickened out. We can manage without bread etc until tomorrow . Judi, I do feel for you in all this rain, I think it’s being a lot more frustrating and difficult for you over there than it is here.At least I know I’m not going to get flooded in, whatever rain we get, and water doesn’t lie here anywhere.It’s getting really wild tonight………..better check the radar.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

Very windy here it is raining so heavy that the yard is awash again :@

If it gets really bad people from down the road can’t get to town either as there are 2 gullies on the road that can flood as well and they both run through here we are downstream of them…. at least I have coffee and plenty of tinned food here.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Time for some pics …….I hope.

General view across the mandela site. Chooks all rugged up against the rain! They are on the last site now before they free range for six months.That fence is not finished yet.It’s a “floppy top” curving outwards which is supposed to keep foxes out for daytime.Think I’ll still be nervous though.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Mandela site guild planting. The large pop sticks are where seeds are sown so I know what’s coming up!! It took a while to work this out, copying a Linda Woodrow guild to the letter ………..almost! The big mulched area will be taken up by mature pigeon peas for the chooks’ next time round the six sites.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Mind you, with the torrential rain happening right now I should think the seeds will be scattered all over the place. 🙁 🙁

BlueWrenBlueWren

There are three pigeon pea seedlings.The others in the mulch are seed potato positions.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

If you are getting anything like us the seeds will probably be all over the state.

I’ve just had to go and mop the dining room floor the wind is blowing the rain under the door, just looked out and the water is running through about 2″ deep.

BlueWrenBlueWren

I think you’re right about the seeds ………..and probably the seedlings will be a mess too…….this is ridiculous!! And the BOM radar still only calls our area light to moderate…………heaven help us if it gets heavy. :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

HerbmanHerbman

Looks good. I hope this wind and rain doesn’t destroy everything. It’s really wild and woolly down here in Brisbane but hopefully you aren’t getting it as bad up there tonight.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Thanks Andy. Yup, we got the wild night too, and how. Can’t see what happened to the seeds , time will tell , but the seedlings are all OK and amazingly none of the plastic half bottles were dislodged.The guild patch was sheltered by the self sown tall sunflowers, tomatoes and grain in the adjacent site , which unfortunately are nowhere near as upstanding as they were. I had staked some of the sunflowers and they are OK. Zucchinis elsewhere had been swivelled around 180 and half blown out of the ground with their roots exposed but may recover. And YOUR pigeon peas? As I described in your family thread.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Hadn’t seen the sun for it seemed like weeks and I thought the guild site would be well shaded by the apricot tree. Now it’s blazing hot and much of the site is getting more sun than I expected, so I stocked up on bamboo stakes today to get shade cloth organised, The comfrey corner is a disaster – way too hot all day and I’m going to have to move it and find a real sun lover for that spot. Any suggestions?

I respect that many of you don’t like cats but I enjoy the company of mine when I’m working outside.I found a nice quote this morning.

” My cat , friend in my toil and companion in my leisure.” I just wish he wouldn’t roll on my beetroot!

geminiscgeminisc

rosemary for the sun spot?

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

BlueWren wrote:

?

I respect that many of you don’t like cats but I enjoy the company of mine when I’m working outside.I found a nice quote this morning.

” My cat , friend in my toil and companion in my leisure.” I just wish he wouldn’t roll on my beetroot!

oh bluewren, I know exactly what you mean :|:lol:

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 868 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.