Aussies Living Simply

BlueWren's Patch in South East QLD

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE The Garden Log BlueWren's Patch in South East QLD

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 868 total)
  • Author
    BlueWren

The neat 4.5m diameter circular beds I set up with the chook dome are long gone as the original chip bark edging has disintegrated and blended with the beds.So now I really just have six “patches”. :shrug:

There’s still heaps of tidying up to do and a little weeding, best if I get it done now.Still don’t have the purple heliotrope routed but at least the chooks can eat the other weeds.The heliotrope is bad for their livers.

Some good things to report too.The three rhubarb crowns I thought were gone are actually growing now.I’m thinking it would be a good candidate for a wicking bed,needs lots of water.Can it be transplanted,anyone know?

I did keep it watered but the Queen of Herbs ( tulsi? ) survived the frizzle days better than the other herbs and now will go full bore if it stays damp for a while.

Stevia has enjoyed the rain – thought I had lost that.

…and this little guy has lost a front leg in some encounter.

BlueWren

The Santolina and Curry Plant have survived the frizzle very well.

The chooks had a ball with the remains of the Rainbow Chard but I think it may come back.

BlueWren

I kept the asparagus watered during the frizzle and with the rain all the crowns are sending up new shoots.Hopefully next year I can have a very light picking.That will be a Celebration Day! 🙂 Don’t grow asparagus unless you can stand waiting for a few years to pick any!

…..and last but never least , The Supervisor!

Attached files

mauzi

Lovely pictures as usual BlueWren. Thought the supervisor was your DH 😆 and I had all these crazy pictures in my head :D: being a visual type :D: Now I see who you really mean :D: not nearly as interesting as the picture in my head, but the cat looks to be having a great time.

BlueWren

mauzi post=336976 wrote: Lovely pictures as usual BlueWren. Thought the supervisor was your DH 😆 and I had all these crazy pictures in my head :D: being a visual type :D: Now I see who you really mean :D: not nearly as interesting as the picture in my head, but the cat looks to be having a great time.

DH supervising from a near by wheelbarrow?? :laugh: That would be something to behold, but definitely not allowed!!

Merewyn

Looks great – what a variety of plants you have!

Merewyn

Judi B
    Keymaster

We haven’t heard the koalas here for a few weeks now, but we know he is still here and the females scream because the males are not very gentle … if you know what I mean :blush: breeding season is just about over now.

Great photos :tup:

BlueWren

Thanks Merewyn . We had a run of very hot days recently which did a lot of damage but I am amazed at what is recovering with the recent good rainfall , after I had totally abandoned trying to keep most things watered and alive. The pumpkin shoots are rooting themselves after the main stems were long gone, the zuchinnis are looking great, and the sweet potato is all perked up again.I will be able to rescue some of the herbs as well which are resprouting from the base.That’s the next big job, the herb circle.

Today I did battle with kikuyu runners making their way into the beds .Yesterday I was chipping out heliotrope prior to putting down a heavy mulch when I realised that definite “vegie type” two leaf seedlings were appearing everywhere after the recent rain, particularly in one bed! So the mulch had better wait until I see what i’m getting.I’m susepcting Asian greens which will be very welcome indeeed.I’m really keen for the mandala to become perennial veg beds where things will grow when they are ready rather than when I want them to.The “planned” veg I will grow in the no dig area and the imminent wicking beds which will be easier to control.

BlueWren

Tree , or maybe tress, for today.

This is the eucalypt at the front gate, with a jacaranda on the left.

These eucalypts are “koala” trees and we have been fortunate to have a big male koala hanging around for a couple of years, first time in the twenty years plus we have been here.We haven’t heard him recently though so I hope he’s still here.

For a short while there was a female and joey here too.

If you arte not familiar with the male koalas mating sound do some Googling!! It’s an amazing noise , and the females scream!!

BlueWren

I had a useful time this morning tidying up the herb circle.Gave all the oregano a major clip and cleared out dead wood from fennel,tansey, red clover, feverfiew,apple mint, cat mint,red ribbed dandelion, lemon balm , thymes and sages. The yarrow is coming back.A new lavender has survived the frizzle.There are nasturtiums popping up and I’m going to wait and see what else comes up before doing anything else in there.The Vietnamese mint is long gone – don’t mind, pretty leaf but awful taste imo – and I will have to replace chocolate mint and spearmint.The pine apple sage has made it through the frizzle.The Supervisor actually chewed some young cat mint leaves , which I have never seen him do before.I put that in just for him, it takes up an inordinate amount of space, and he has shown very little interest in it! :shrug:

I heard some unfamiliar bird noises today and upon investigating found a family of King Parrots hanging around, the young ones demanding to be fed, which was the unusual sound.We quite often have the adult kings around but don’t remember having a whole family before -the parents and five young ones!! Took some pics when a shower brought me in from the mandala but poor light so poor pics.

Claraflo

I’m loving your bird feeders BlueWren. They are gorgeously rustic and I wish, wish I could get King Parrots to hang around my place. I actually had a pretty sweet place in Concord West a few years ago that was frequented by 15 or so rainbow lorikeets. They would all sit on my balcony rail and squawk to be fed.

BlueWren

Thanks Claraflo.We paid good money for a similar feeder and then decided we wanted more, so my husband made these two from timber we had in the yard,old farm fencing I guess.They are connected to the first one to the left in the first pic.It is hilarious to watch the birds travelling between them on the bamboo stakes!Especially young galahs and cockatoos which haven’t quite got their perching balance perfected – they often finish up under the sticks hanging on for dear life.There is one really, really bossy rainbow lorikeet that visits, and he will not allow a bird of any other species to feed at the same time as he is there.Silly thing is he spends all his time running along the bamboo to drive them off and doean’t feed himself!

Now, I do understand that there are good reasons for NOT feeding native birds, and one of them is that different species perhaps would not naturally feed in such close proximity, hence the agitated lorikeet.We don’t feed them every day ,we only feed them wild bird grain, if we are away they don’t get fed, there’s plenty of their natural food around, and I plant natives for them as well.We decided that for the pleasure we derive from having these feeders just next to the house we would feed the birds, and during the ten year drought I think it was more than justified , although I suppose some would say it should be the “survival of the fittest” in drought.

Claraflo

Well there are good reasons for not having cats too, but I do. I just settle myself to being a good cat owner instead of an irresponsible one.

calliecat
    Participant

me too 🙂

karyn26

Lovely pics as usual BW.

Love the koalas,you’re very fortunate to have them so close.

The rhubarb can be dug up and transferred with no problems at all.Apparently you’re not supposed to pick it for a couple of seasons but I have and the plant didnt suffer.

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 868 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.