Aussies Living Simply

BlueWren's Patch in South East QLD

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE The Garden Log BlueWren's Patch in South East QLD

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 868 total)
  • Author
    Bel

BlueWren post=325724 wrote: Thanks everyone.I’ll try disturbing the mould Bel, it’s not hard, quite fluffy,and let the trays dry out a bit- do you think the added blood and bone might encourage mould? I thought thos food container lids would allow enough air into the trays.

BlueWren – I do think the blood and bone encourages mould, but only in the right conditions, ie when it’s quite damp/cool etc. I’ve had mould before, but only generally when I’ve tried raising seedlings in the laundry or when it’s still quite cold outside.

BlueWren

Bel post=325893 wrote:

Thanks everyone.I’ll try disturbing the mould Bel, it’s not hard, quite fluffy,and let the trays dry out a bit- do you think the added blood and bone might encourage mould? I thought thos food container lids would allow enough air into the trays.

BlueWren – I do think the blood and bone encourages mould, but only in the right conditions, ie when it’s quite damp/cool etc. I’ve had mould before, but only generally when I’ve tried raising seedlings in the laundry or when it’s still quite cold outside.

That’s interesting Bel.I had thought it may have been too warm and airless that caused the mould but come to think of it it has been cool and windy since I sowed all those seeds.And my mini greenhouse is in the shade and won’t zip up completely.Anyway I have removed all the lids so will see if anything grows.I do hope so as I had lots of tomato varieties seeds given to me ,but only a very few of each so I sowed them all.Should have kept a couple of each back.

BlueWren

calliecat post=325885 wrote:

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. 🙂

aaaaaand

dogs come to your call

cats have answering machine 🙂

……..and Manu runs to my mobile when it rings,has been known to nip my wrist as I picked up the mobile, and he hates me talking to anyone on the landline………

starruby

Thats such a handsome cat! and a beautiful garden Blue Wren.

BlueWren

Time for an update from our bit of sunny Queensland.

Caulis doing OK.

Another view of the herb circle.Must learn how to use more of them.

Rainbow chard growing well.

Very happy to see sweet potatoe coming back – obviously I missed some!

Pigeon pea p[ods.Supposed to be for the chooks but I think the wild birds are eating them.

Will try that one again, next post. :shrug:

Attached files

BlueWren

Pigeon pea pods.

Moreton Bay figs to plant out, and free begonia!

I like to have a few quirky things in the mandala as well as the growing stuff.

One green bottle, hanging from the tree….

Kookaburra wind chimes.

And in the main yard , old butter factory roof ventilators.

And one of the reasons for the mandala fence!

Rinelle

Looking very lush BlueWren. Our wild birds love the pidgeon pea as well. We’re loving seeing the king parrots around.

Kristy

Beautiful photos Bluewren 🙂

Bobbee

:wave:

Lurve the one green bottle BlueWren. Only quirky people have quirky thingies. Quirky folk are the best folk I reckon!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

I’m giving sweet potato another go this year, but in a different bed. We have a plant I call elephant ears as I don’t know it’s ‘proper’ name and the frost knocks it back badly but ours is now in a bed near the house and survived the winter very well.

Sooooooooo…..Mr Bobbs says this is because the house protected the plant from the frost and maybe, hopefully the house can protect sweet potato from the frost also. So sweet spud will be planted there under the apricot tree and the peach tree.

Gee I hope they do well.

Bobbs :hug: :hug: :hug:

BlueWren

Bobbee , that bottle contained non-alcoholic grape juice believe it or not, brought to a meal here by my SisIL.The bottle is such a gorgeous colour and shape,with a bright red screw top lid.No way it was going to be recycled and I have been waiting for inspiration about what to do with it.I think I found it – it spins sometimes and catches the light.

Good luck with your sweet potatoes.We had some wicked frosts this year so I’m not sure why mine is coming up.I’m even more surprised because the rats destroyed all the tubers of any size. 🙁 Hopefully I can fix or at least reduce the rat problem this year.

roundthebend

Looking very nice at your place Blue Wren :tup:

The 1 green bottle tickled my fancy as well 😆

And really looking foreward to being able to grow caulies again when we move!

BlueWren

I was just looking at the green bottle photo and I think I am reflected in it , up near the top.Very quirky!! :laugh:

busylizzie

OMG, Nanna I see you in the bottle, how cool is that :woohoo:

Was looking back over the last few pages catchin up, are the seedling trays that have gone mouldy on top, ones that you’ve tried the blood and bone with by any chance? The only times Ive had mould is when Ive mixed B&B in the pot mix bag and its been closed up abit, to much humidity I think. Hows the seedlings looking now? I have snail pellet in my trays sometimes and they tend to get mouldy at times but they dont effect the seedlings.

BlueWren

HI bl. :wave: I think it’s a magic bottle, hopefully a gardening geni in there and not my reflection………..I may have done a silly thing with those seeds which were all in punnet cells, and yes with B&B in the mix.I took the tops off and disturbed the mould but then the surfaces went dry and hard even though i misted them regularly and I chucked the whole lot in the bin in disgust, seed mix, punnets and all………..I wasn’t too sure of the seeds in the first place either. I bought a few seedlings today to get me going and will get some seeds from Green Harvest.Think I will sow them in a larger container and then – if they germinate ! – prick out to grow on before planting.

I direct sowed half a packet of radish seed recently which germinated very well but some critta is eating them all to the ground as soon as the first two seed leaves are up….don’t know what as I have never seen slugs or snails here or found them on crops, but I’m thinking an insect as it’s very surgically done.Got any ideas anyone how I can protect baby radish seedlings? I would like to not be a total seed growing failure! 🙁 🙁

BlueWren

Been outside for an hour or so spreading old hay for mulch and doing some watering – 57ml rain in those storms, very welcome , but you’d hardly know it now.Then I felt a coffee coming on……….

This is what happens when one is a total seedling growing dud! Anyway, my failure is someone’s gain.Rest of the day will be busy.Too bad if the moon is wrong …….have to get that worked out too,I know it’s not that difficult, but my “no seedling” frustration got the better of me.

At least the worms are healthy and breeding by the thousand.The first pic I took was no good so by the time I got the camera organised for this one – something else I need to learn about – most of the worms had dived down for cover. :shrug:

Better get back out there.Nice cool and cloudy day so good for planting out.

Before I go , a question re mulching sweet potato.Do you? As it has to dig into the soil to set tubers does mulch hinder it? I don’t want to make it too easy for the rats by having tubers grow in mulch, which I suppose could happen?

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 868 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.