Aussies Living Simply

BlueWren's Patch in South East QLD

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE The Garden Log BlueWren's Patch in South East QLD

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 868 total)
  • Author
    BobbeeBobbee

:wave:

:blush: :blush: :blush: Thank you BlueWren, I jumped the queue and saved it from the other thread you started. 😛

Many thanks,

Bobbs :hug: :hug: :hug:

BlueWrenBlueWren

Very welcome rain , we had 34 mls which should kick things along in the garden.My beetroot, celery and silver beet are really stunted in spite of feeding and watering.

The @#$%^&* RATS have now consumed five almost ready heads of broccoli, three large Chinese cabbage that will now only be maybe good for seed,red rib dandelion,cos lettuce seedlings and yesterday evening I went to get stuff for a stir fry and ALL THE PEAS WERE GONE!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: They were there the day before,all fat and juicy,plus snow peas.The few self seeded over winter tomatoes are also getting the treatment.

So I wondeer……….is it worth it? Much as I enjoy growing the stuff.I have remembered that I did use D’Ter and Scat liquid repellants around the first broccoli crop which was excellent so perhaps those products did work.A pain to have to use though and D’Ter especially is expensive.Ho hum. :shrug:

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

:hug: Nanna. Its worth it, just need to get tougher with those rats 👿 Do you know where they have their nests?

veggie boyveggie boy

I have a rat problem also. While I don’t use any poisons in my vegetable gardenning I have little choice when it comes to rats because they just seem too smart for the traps.

I lost all my corn and pumpkins to them in Autumn and they ate the start of the sweet potato crop a couple of months back along with potatos that I had up near the house in a box (harvested). In response I put a box of pellets down in the garden inside an upturned pot that had a hole only large enough for the rats to get into. I also put a box up near the house. Haven’t had any problems since – though interestingly the pellets down the garden didn’t get eaten so I think the smae rats were up at the house also and got their feed there. I’ve tried more organic (albeit not humane) remedies for rats such as plater of paris in flour. Didn’t work as all I got was perfectly formed plater of paris poos :lol:.

sue esue e

it is frustrating for sure when you have worked so hard to get stuff growing only to lose it all. We bait for rats quit regularly and while i hate having to resort to it cos i know its not a nice death i dont know how else to protect our produce.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Thinking I may have to use baits.Trouble is when I do catch rats in spring traps they are chewed to bits in the traps, I presume by birds,so don’t the birds eat poisoned rats they find lying around? The chooks and domestic pets, mine and the neighbours’ are a concern too.Might try the greasy pole and hope they are drowned by the time I get there in the mornings….

sue esue e

yes we keep our cat locked up when we have the baits around.not many flesh eating birds around our way only crows so i guess that isn’t much of an issue- i think they would be too smart to eat a poisoned rat( hopefully)

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I don’t want to rub it in but we don’t have any rats here yet but we’ve had a hell of a time with bandicoots in the garden also a bit of trouble with a bored female galah.

We don’t like to use baits as we have frogmouths here and have on a few occasions had to take them to the vet as they have eaten a poisoned mouse.

BobbeeBobbee

Judi B post=322107 wrote: I don’t want to rub it in but we don’t have any rats here yet but we’ve had a hell of a time with bandicoots in the garden also a bit of trouble with a bored female galah.

We don’t like to use baits as we have frogmouths here and have on a few occasions had to take them to the vet as they have eaten a poisoned mouse.

Awww Judles you are a sweetie. :hug: :hug: :hug:

BobbeeBobbee

:wave:

BlueWren a number of years ago we had a beautiful crop of sweetcorn. Oh boy they were such full, fat cobs and I was drooling watching the silks darken and waiting for the perfect time to pick them. :woohoo:

Well that perfect time came and Mr Bobbs went to pick the corn and every single darn cob was eaten, every one of them. :jawdrop:

The husks were still in tact and looked great until you touched them. :jawdrop:

Mr Bobbs assumed it was “rats wot dun it” and the silly old bugger has refused to plant corn ever since. :S

We have rats around and assume it is because we live near the local high school and they have lots of rubbish bins and stuff. We put rat killer stuff in the roof of the main house when we lived in it and killed many a rat, also used traps to good effect. I say to good effect because I wasn’t the one who had to remove them when dead, the rat that is. :laugh:

We also regularly put rat killer in one shed that the cats etc can’t get into and kill lots of rats there. As far as we know nothing else seems to get poisoned by our dead rats and we have cats and a beautiful but quite mad rat killer dog on the premises. :shrug:

We have owls, beautiful creatures, that are around at night and never see any dead ones anywhere.

Apart from telling you that wee story I can’t help you my dear. Good luck with getting rid of the rats though.

Take care,

BlueWrenBlueWren

Thanks for your replies everyone.Just caught up with them. Yup,Judii, got bandicoots too ….I watched one by torchlight for several minutes recently, happily doing what bandicoots do, it didn’t mind the powerful torch beam at all.It was outside the fenced chook and vegie areas and I don’t think it/they can get past/under that fence.Echidnas likewise.

Anyway, enough of rats.Things around the yard and in the veg patch got badly out of control while I was doing the Census collecting , so it’s been good to get stuck into the clearing up.Heaps of loquat leaves to sweep up , they are such big leaves.Birds are getting stuck into the loquats already, hope we get some too, lower ones not ripe yet.I usually just munch on a few when I’m near the trees.

Silver beet seems to be growing better and so far is not rat attacked, neither so far are the red cabbage.They are all ready,big tight hearts, need to give some away.Kale still going strong too and a few sugar loaf cabbage are ready.Asian veg all gone to seed, likewise lettuce.

AND…..after the prettiest blossom my little China Peach has it’s very first tiny little peaches, lots of them, about half the size of my little finger nail.Must read up about fruit trees, totally ignorant.I think there are a couple of mulberry trees coming up in the middle of one of the round beds, must be courtesy of birds and neighbours I suppose. I’m going to let them grow where they are.

The paper daisies are delightful, many different shades of pink and some white,with so many different centres.Must master pics again.

Bobbee …….. 🙁 🙁 🙁 the sweet corn.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Think I have pics under control.Had an hour or so outside this am before it got too hot.Weird time of year here.Single digit early mornings – some parts of Kingaroy even had -1C last week – but getting up to high twenties when it warms up.

A couple of general views across the mandela.

From the other side.

One thing I can grow is parsley!

Attached files

BlueWrenBlueWren

Sorry The “not found” is the first one. :shrug:

Here’s my baby China peach tree.

The herb circle needs to be tidied up a lot.Next big job.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Not a lot of veg happening.Red cabbage,kale,rainbow chard and mini cabbage coming on, and lots of paper daisies.They are so pretty, some white,so many tones of pink, lots of different coloured centres.

…and yes, we need to get that paddock slashed ….. very soon.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

tabbouleh on the horizon then ??? 🙂

love tabbouleh 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 868 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.