Aussies Living Simply

Blue Tongue Lizards

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jaygee

I was momentarily utterly delighted to discover a blue tongue in our backyard this afternoon, and then instantly horrified when the dogs discovered it a second later… and killed it 🙁 🙁 Actually it crawled off somewhere as I dragged the dogs inside the house but it was in a very bad way… I still feel sick in the stomach about it even now hours later…

Anyway, I would be even more mortified if this lizard had a mate somewhere nearby that our dogs might also have a go at. Does anyone know if they are solitary creatures or do they travel in pairs? I suspect, in hindsight, that is has been in our (suburban) backyard for at least a few days as something large has been munching on my tomatoes, which I had assumed was a yucky rat, but was probably poor Bluey. Should I be worried about another one being nearby? I’m keeping the dogs inside tonight just in case – and will call WIRES tomorrow if someone thinks I should?

peterh

Generally speaking blue tongues are solitary and as it is passed mating (sept-nov) it is possible it is solitary. Saying that, they can be prolific breeders so there may be others in the area.

i have identified about 6 individuals that cruise my block, fortunately my dog just barks at them. they tend to treat her with contempt. They do like easy pickings such as dog food so if you are feeding outside that may have attracted the lizard in. They can be tough so it may yet survive.

Gianna

Friends of mine have a whole group of them in their backyard. They started off with just a couple and they just keep breeding and staying on.

jaygee

Thanks Peter, that makes me feel marginally better. It won’t have lived though sadly, I could see that it’s stomach was cut open 🙁 We don’t feed the dogs outside as I don’t want to attract vermin actually, but I have plenty of snails!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.