Aussies Living Simply

Birds eating my chook wheat

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock Birds eating my chook wheat

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Dayla

Well I am happy to report that the dineachook works. My chooks have taken to it well.

The grandpas feeder is still available to them aswell but i have to put a large piece of ply wood on the step or they won’t use it. The wood keeps the thing open so the purpose is defeated!

Dayla

casalenta

Thanks purplehat for the link to the site for the instructions for making a Grandpa type feeder. I’m going to have a go at making one of these. (Either that or learn how to make dove pie!)

marigold

Dayla, how does the dine-a-chook discourage the birds from eating the chook food? From the site piccies it just looks like an open feeder. If it is working for you, what type of birds were you having trouble with? I am rather dubious about my Maggies not hoeing into anything that the chooks find usable. They simply stand around, head on one side and watch the hens, then have a go themselves.

I’d like to try a grandpa feeder but they do seem expensive, and I have a vision of a row of maggies balancing on the step ’til there’s enough of them to operate it! :cheer:

Ediedioh

I have lots of magpies – never seen on eating from the dine-a-chook. Ring Ryan and discuss your concerns. A review of them is on the current “chook chick” blog spot post.

Dayla

Hi Marigold,

I had rats eating my chook food more recently, which is why I bought the grandpas feeder and now the dineachook.

My chooks are terrified of grandpas feeder but I have heard of other peoples chooks being fine with it, which is why i bought it. But the clang of the lid coming down makes them jump. Perhaps a new generation of birds may find it ok. I have a light piece of ply wood over the step so it is less violent in its actions and now they use it but it doesn’t shut properly and anyone/anything can eat out of it. I will try weaning them off the wood soon. The dineachook can only fit 1 chooks head into it. it is high enough off the ground to stop rats from getting in and they can’t get to it from the top either. Not sure if all the chooks have discovered it yet, I have only seen one chook eating from it and she is a clever one and the only one not to be scared of grandpas feeder. But they are not ravenous so must be getting food from them ok.

The rats were dealt with using bait. I didn’t want to do it but all my neighbours do so I figure they have already killed any wildlife that might eat the dead rats and there seems to be lots of wildlife around here.

I used rat sack as oposed to talon as I heard from a Vet that talon will kill any animale that eats a poisoned rat but have to eat several rat sack poisoned rats to die.

The traps I bought were useless and couldn’t catch a cold.

hope this helps.

Dayla

casalenta

I made this! It still needs a few adjustments (a bit of sanding to make it close a bit easier), but it works, and the chooks learned to use it quickly.

I’m no carpenter and this is only my second project (1st was re-building the chook tractor). I borrowed some power tools, bought some wood and set to work (while singing that old Helen Reddy song!).

The doves look bewildered. If the video works – this is of the test run to see if it would work, so it’s not finished off and looks much nicer now. Bossy Doris sends off one chook and then another just takes to it as if she’d been doing it all her life, even though it had been there all of about 20 minutes.

[attachment:1]MVI_1850.AVI[/attachment]

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.