Aussies Living Simply

Birds eating my chook wheat

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock Birds eating my chook wheat

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    BlueWren

Have to get those home made feeders right! I have a vision of a line of chook bums and no heads ……………… :jawdrop: But I’m sure you will. :clap:

purplehat

The lids are light generally. I used 9mm ply with one lid, and clear plastic for another lid. The lid comes down when they step off, but no heads have been taken off here yet. 😉 My chooks don’t like to share the feeder, so it’s usually only one chook at a time, or one chook and a rooster (they’re all fine sharing with him for some reason!) lol

Dayla

Hi all,

whne we moved into our new place in August we had rosellas in the chook house pinching food. So I put up fly streamers over the door way and that did reduce the numbers a bit but not much. Then the currawongs were coming in and taking eggs, so I put an old net curtain in the doorway about 20 cm off the ground. After the chooks got used to it so did the currawongs. It has stopped the rosellas though.

So I closed the door to all but a bricks length open and put a large pot plant outside to disguise the door being open.

I don’t know if this worked as the currawongs have moved on but I had an Indian Miner in ther the other day. It didn’t survive, aww!

But I do have a rat problem.

I have a large hopper that hangs from the ceiling and I divey out the wheat in the evening so it is not sitting around. But any not eaten is food for the blasted rats.

I like the idea of a tube overhanging a shelf of bench with some food in the end overhanging and a bucket of water below. The rat clinmb in the tube to the food and it overbalances and falls into the bucket and drowns.

I will try this soon.

Dayla

Bel

Dayla post=334372 wrote: Hi all,

whne we moved into our new place in August we had rosellas in the chook house pinching food. So I put up fly streamers over the door way and that did reduce the numbers a bit but not much. Then the currawongs were coming in and taking eggs, so I put an old net curtain in the doorway about 20 cm off the ground. After the chooks got used to it so did the currawongs. It has stopped the rosellas though.

So I closed the door to all but a bricks length open and put a large pot plant outside to disguise the door being open.

I don’t know if this worked as the currawongs have moved on but I had an Indian Miner in ther the other day. It didn’t survive, aww!

But I do have a rat problem.

I have a large hopper that hangs from the ceiling and I divey out the wheat in the evening so it is not sitting around. But any not eaten is food for the blasted rats.

I like the idea of a tube overhanging a shelf of bench with some food in the end overhanging and a bucket of water below. The rat clinmb in the tube to the food and it overbalances and falls into the bucket and drowns.

I will try this soon.

Dayla

There was a simlar mouse trap idea posted on this site many moons ago. It involved a rotating tin smothered in peanut butter, suspended over a bucket of water. I always intended to make one up, but never got around to it. Let us know how you go with your rat killer…..

Amazing what you can find on U-Tube. Here’s a link to a trap like I was talking about: rat trap

brymark

I have one of the grandpas feeders as well. Took the chooks ages to work out how to use it however now they have it all sorted ( besides one or tow). They just wait for the others to open it and then jump in.

Have gone from using a bag of feed a week, to a bag every three weeks. It was expensive but it will pay for itself in no time.

It is great not having to feed the chooks ever day as well. Just need to set the auto waterer up and I am set.

BlueWren

I did try some versions of the slippery pole rat trap……..but the rats were too clever……..I just lost a lot of peanut butter!! :laugh: I’m not saying they don’t work , just have to keep perfecting them I guess until they do.

My rat problem was becoming so big they attracted snakes which was becoming dangerous.I had to use Racumin baits, which are not so dangerous to other creatures if a baited rat is eaten.Still have to position them very carefully initially of course so that only rats/mice eat them. Strong death smells for a while proved the baits were being effective.I don’t like to cause harm to any creature and had resisted using baits for months but had to do something.I considered more humane electric zappers but they are expensive and can only kill one rat at a time. I will bait regularly from now on.

Dayla

this bucket with the rotating can looks good, I will try that. Thanks

Dayla

BlueWren

Dayla post=334462 wrote: this bucket with the rotating can looks good, I will try that. Thanks

Dayla

Just make sure that the rats can’t reach the tin just by standing on the edge of the bucket with back legs and reaching across!!Also make sure that the pressure of a rat on top doesn’t stop the tin rotating. They are very, very clever animals!Also make sure they can’t just make a leap for the edge of the bucket as the tin begins to spin.Good luck…….and please report back with pics.

calliecat
    Participant

BlueWren post=334458 wrote: I did try some versions of the slippery pole rat trap……..but the rats were too clever……..I just lost a lot of peanut butter!! :laugh: I’m not saying they don’t work , just have to keep perfecting them I guess until they do.

My rat problem was becoming so big they attracted snakes which was becoming dangerous.I had to use Racumin baits, which are not so dangerous to other creatures if a baited rat is eaten.Still have to position them very carefully initially of course so that only rats/mice eat them. Strong death smells for a while proved the baits were being effective.I don’t like to cause harm to any creature and had resisted using baits for months but had to do something.I considered more humane electric zappers but they are expensive and can only kill one rat at a time. I will bait regularly from now on.

as much as we all laughed, your snake episode, really could’ve had dire consequences, BW, you gotta do what you gotta do

Dayla

Good luck…….and please report back with pics.

It didn’t work for some reason, the spinning bottle over a bucket of water. The only thing I got was mozzies breeding in the water.

I am going to purchase one of those Grandpas feeders I think.

Dayla

Ediedioh

Dine-A-Chook feeder solves all those issues and you wouldn’t bother trying to make one for what you pay for one. Great customer service too.

carolf

Ediedioh where do you purchase Dine-A-Chook feeder from please. 🙂

Dayla

Try the website. http://www.dineachook.com.au/

I just ordered a feeder, it was $44 and then I was slugged $15 for postage. Funny how these sites only let you know the shipping after you have gone thru the process to buy. Thinking shipping was included.

Never mind I just hope it works. I recently spent $200 on the Grandpas feeder and the chooks hate it.

Dayla

carolf

Thanks Dayla, just come back to say i found them, hubby thinks he can build one along similiar lines. 🙂

Ediedioh

There is a LOT more to them than meets the eye – by the time you trial and error to get it just right it would be cheaper to just buy one.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.