Aussies Living Simply

Birds eating my chook wheat

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock Birds eating my chook wheat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    chareaves
    Participant

Well, my chooks are housed very nicely and I have wheat for them in a bowl. Their house has a door which is left open during the day. Anyway, almost every time I go to check eggs, I see birds fly off from the bowl. I used to wonder how the chooks could go through so much food; now I know. so, how can I stop the birds eating it?

We had the same issue with pigeons, magpies, ducks & parrots, as well as crows & currawongs taking the eggs. We put bird netting over the entire enclosure. When they are out free ranging & the gate is open, the birds still get in there sometimes, but it’s nowhere near as much food lost to them as before the netting was in place.

marz

DH says if there are birds in the coop there’s no snake in there – good enough for me, even if they do eat some of the grain 🙂

Lady Bee
    Keymaster

I’ve seen chicken feeders that have a lid that is activated by a bird standing on a ‘step’. Needs the weight of a chicken to open it. But they are very pricey.

BlueWren

marz post=332823 wrote: DH says if there are birds in the coop there’s no snake in there – good enough for me, even if they do eat some of the grain 🙂

Sorry marz , DH is so wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

purplehat

You can make your own treadle feeder. I did, and it’s saved us a small fortune in wasted feed.

I used the plans available here: http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=56638-building-a-treadle-feeder

We were going through nearly a bag of chook food a week (which is $30 in our case). Now we’re using around a bag a month. That’s a BIG savings.. enough to pay for the fancy metal feeders (Grandpa etc).. but I’m happy with our home made ones for now. We keep them under cover because it’s just chipboard. The metal ones would be more weather-proof and mouse-proof as well. (Given the time and opportunity, a mouse will eventually get through chipboard.)

I use bird netting for smaller areas like the sin-bin and chick housing where the feed is in normal feeders. It really works keeping out the little pests.

chareaves
    Participant

Thanks for the tips everyone. Bandicoot valley, I think I might initially try what you’ve suggested. I’ll put some bird netting across the door way, and just maybe leave a bitat the bottom for the chooks to get through. Not sure it’ll work, but I’ll try it.

@purplehat
    , you’re right that theoretically I could make my own treadle feeder, but when I looked at the plans, I had that same sinking feeling that most people have when looking at a row of algebra. It looked way beyond me.

purplehat

Haha, me too! It took weeks to finally get it together. I gave up, threw tantrums and hissy fits.. but eventually it became a treadle feeder. 😆 The second one was much easier (it worked better and only took a week and one hissy fit). 😉

Fozzie

I was feeding the local rat population with my chook food! So I bought a Grandpas feeder. It took them about 3 weeks to learn about it, still only two of mine have cottoned on that step = food, the other three just know to run over to the feeder when one of the other chooks opens it.

Seems to be working… the rats are eating the bait nearby instead!! 😀

chareaves
    Participant

Fozzie post=332923 wrote: I was feeding the local rat population with my chook food! So I bought a Grandpas feeder. It took them about 3 weeks to learn about it, still only two of mine have cottoned on that step = food, the other three just know to run over to the feeder when one of the other chooks opens it.

Seems to be working… the rats are eating the bait nearby instead!! 😀

What’s a grandpas feeder?

froot_loopz

I have the same problem, Im in the process of organising bird netting to go over mine

BlueWren

“Grandpa” is just the brand name for a metal treadle feeder as often advertised in rural mags and catalogues.

BlueWren

BlueWren post=332830 wrote:

DH says if there are birds in the coop there’s no snake in there – good enough for me, even if they do eat some of the grain 🙂

Sorry marz , DH is so wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Although on second thoughts he should be right!! Makes sense. To be honest I was so preoccupied for so long avoiding the snake that I really don’t know if the birds were still there or not…….sorry. 🙁

Bel

purplehat post=332918 wrote: You can make your own treadle feeder. I did, and it’s saved us a small fortune in wasted feed.

I used the plans available here: http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=56638-building-a-treadle-feeder

We were going through nearly a bag of chook food a week (which is $30 in our case). Now we’re using around a bag a month. That’s a BIG savings.. enough to pay for the fancy metal feeders (Grandpa etc).. but I’m happy with our home made ones for now. We keep them under cover because it’s just chipboard. The metal ones would be more weather-proof and mouse-proof as well. (Given the time and opportunity, a mouse will eventually get through chipboard.)

I use bird netting for smaller areas like the sin-bin and chick housing where the feed is in normal feeders. It really works keeping out the little pests.

Thanks for the link purplehat. DH says he’s gonna give it a try. I suppose you could also teach ducks how to use it….

chareaves
    Participant

Well I bought some bird netting from the hardware. It cost me $4.50 for 3m worth of 4m width. I’ll try and attach it today and let you all know how it goes…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.