Aussies Living Simply

Big Pineapple closed…

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Big Pineapple closed…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    marz

Shoutbox said the Big Pineapple had closed down – apprently they were $30M in the red :jawdrop:

Looks like the residential developers have got hld of the prime land

This is an article from October last year:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/bid-to-avoid-a-rough-end-for-queenslands-big-pineapple/story-e6frg6oo-1225787747991

Shame eh?

Anonymous

suppose it had to happen, it did end up off the beaten track a bit but there was never any revamping like other such venues, pretty much didn’t change for all the time it was there, reckon development preassure might come to alma park zoo as well again it has never had a facelift yet prices keep going up in line with other such venues.

would be better all round if the pineapple was returned to habitat.

len

Nex

Yes well that doesnt surprise me at all.

Went there last year as I had fond memories of it from 1986.

…..nothing had changed since 1986.

It was appallingly run down, nothing to appeal at all, obviously very few visitors and no tours or other interesting things.

Sonya

Its apparently going to be a motor history museum (filled up with a private collection of racing cars), it was bought by a (rich) family in Buderim. I hope the Farmers Markets keep going there – they are all we have ATM 🙁

Sonya

Wazza

I went there quite a few years ago and enjoyed the day out. I remember taking a train ride around the plantations and being amazed at the number of banana varieties. I think they had several hundred in all sizes, shapes and colours.

Lady Bee
    Keymaster

Wazza wrote:

I went there quite a few years ago and enjoyed the day out. I remember taking a train ride around the plantations and being amazed at the number of banana varieties. I think they had several hundred in all sizes, shapes and colours.

You went to the big pineapple and saw bananas? I’ve never been to the B.P. but that just doesn’t sound logical.

luvin

that is awful,i was going to take the grandies there,i had good times there riding the train with my kids

Michael1973

luvin wrote:

that is awful,i was going to take the grandies there,i had good times there riding the train with my kids

If it helps the miniature trains still run in Nambour and it is a good morning out especially with little kids. They love to ride the little trains. :rol:

Shangri La

It has been run down for a few years now so was pretty disappointing for people who travelled a distance to see it. The pineapple and other buildings are heritage listed so they have to stay ….. although the Qld heritage Act requires that buildings me maintained and that hasn’t been happening, maybe the new owners will tart it up a bit. Sonya, it said in the paper that the markets will have to move. Do they still have a farmers market at Nambour school?

porgey

For all those who enjoyed

Michelle-sm

It has been bought out by the Bowden family and will be turned into a motor museum. The developers won’t get their hands on it now and the grounds are going to be restored.

Bron

They had a food forest trail (you rode in a train), so had a large variety of fruit bearing trees there Lady B 🙂 And many pineapples! Also macadamia nuts.

I’ve been loads of times and think they have done heaps to it since I was a child.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Lady B wrote:

Wazza wrote:

You went to the big pineapple and saw bananas? I’ve never been to the B.P. but that just doesn’t sound logical.

yeah go figure, I went there a few back, and wanted a Pineapple sundae, All I could get though was a banana one……

Wombat

Nooooooooooooooooo!:(

Nev

redhen2

i really dislike big things. they are always neglected and look pretty shoddy pretty quickly. i’m happy to report that we don’t have any big things around here.

oh, no. i lied. robertson is quite close and they boast the big potato. it looks just like a giant turd…

wasn’t dunnydoo going to put itself on the map with a giant dunny? now that’s class. if only robertson and dunnydoo were closer to each other… a perfect match of giant things. 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.