Aussies Living Simply

Bicarb and Vinegar for cleaning..

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Natural Cleaners and Products for the Home Bicarb and Vinegar for cleaning..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Morriske

Hi all

I am trying to use only Bicarb and Vinegar to clean the bathroom and toilet. Seems to work well. The only problem is that it works out quite expensive buying it at the supermarket. You can get homebrand vinegar, but the bicarb only comes in little boxes and never lasts more than a couple of cleans.

Is there anywhere that you can buy this sort of stuff in bulk?

Keri

Fatima

I used to get it in 5kg bags at our local produce store. It seems more common in the produce stores in dairying areas.:tup:

Morriske

Thanks Fatima. I’ll ask the guys at my produce store if they can get it in for me.

Fatima

No worries. Vinegar and Bicarb is great for getting grease out of carpet too. I speak from experience!:lol:

ccBear

Cut back on your Bicarb use. I spray the vinegar on the surface to be cleaned then a light sprinkle of Bicarb. Does the job well.:tup:

muster

Woolies has it in a large homebrand pack.

Robyne

Not at our Woolies still selling the name brand.

I make my own cleaner I found in an old book.

House Hold Cleaner:

2 tablespoons of washing up liquid

2 Tblspns of Ammonia

Put in a 2 litre bottle and top up with hot water. Leave over night then spray to clean. Do NOt Use with bleach can cause a gas.

You can double your vinegar by tipping half into another bottle and topping up with rain water leave 24 hours and full strength again.

According to Enio you can do thins over and over. I 1/2 fill a 20 litre bottle and topped up with rain water haven’t bought vinegar for ages.

I also put lavendar flowers in a 2 litre bottle and top up with vinegar for the toilet gives a nice scent.

supergran

We get 500g packets from our woolies I put a srinkle into the dark wash and a vinegar in the cuddly container And get no streaks on the dark trackies:tup:

Arty

can the topping vinegar up with rain water trick be done with apple cider vinegar as well? Also, can filtered water be used instead of rain water?

Wombat

Hmmm, sorry to say but that trick of the top up sounds like bulldust to me. Dilute vinegar with water and you are going to get diluted vinegar no matter how long you leave it. Has anyone tried it and measured the concentration of vinegar after dilution and the next day, say by titrating the acetic acid?

Nev

marigold

Agree with you Wombat. After all, vinegar is soured wine and turning water into wine hasn’t been done for quite a long time!

We wondered about the cleaning vinegar the Stupidmarkets sell, whether it was just a rip off, but it actually is stronger – almost twice as strong. (I found the hygrometer:tup: )

ETA : Ooops! Hydrometer, I mean

muster

Can you ask your woolies to get some in for you? I can send you a wrapper to ward off any claim that they don’t have a home brand alternative if you want?

Robyne

been using my vinegar that way for years, its does strenghten up for some reason. But you have to leave it for 24 hours to do the job

Not a chemist don’t know why but it saves me money;

muster

Had reason to be down at Surfers yesterday and popped into one of the larger Woolies stores (Aust. Fair) – they had home brand everything – except bicarb! I didn’t have the time to ask why but perhaps those of us that have the 500g home brand in our stores ought to stock up on a couple of packets. Interestingly the only bi-carb they had shelf space for was the large blue & white box.

lefty

I buy bi-carb in the Asian grocery store in 3kg packs – I haven’t bought any for a while – 3kgs lasts ages – but from memory it was about $3.50 – certainly much cheaper than in little boxes and is the same brand.

cheers Glenda

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.