Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Beware peach aphids!! – HELP!!

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Fruit, Vines, Nuts and Sprouts Beware peach aphids!! – HELP!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    BelBel

Just thought I’d let you all know that my peach trees are infested with peach aphids. They’re really hard to spot as they’re brown/black and blend in with the bare bark of the trees. If it wasn’t for the ants guarding them, I wouldn’t have spotted them. They’re right on the undersides of the branches, sucking on the bark, clustered in the thousands. I think they’ve enjoyed the spate of warm/dry weather we had recently. So, to all you peach tree owners – go out and check your trees so you can get on top of the problem if you have any there. Mine got a good coating of eco-oil and soap spray and will get follow-up in a few days time.

kerriebkerrieb

Oh I’ve never seen them on the bare trees before I’ll check but it’s probably not been warm enough here.

BelBel

Some of my trees have got these peach aphids in a bad way. Can’t get rid of the *&%$ things despite repeated sprays with Eco-Oil and a home-made soap/oil spray!! My Dad says that there is a persistent pyrethrum spray now that hangs around for 14 days and has recommended that I use that. What do you think? Dad says pyrethrum is safe/organic and it’ll do no harm, but I’ve never used it before. I need to do something because these things are causing harm to my tree – I’ve never seen anything like it. They escalate in numbers so quickly because they’re brown and so difficult to see unless you look closely.

SnagsSnags

Have you tried hosing them off ?

df418df418

Get a bucket of soapy water and scrubbing brush and go to work.

Better if you have young ones to do it for you

Anonymous

g’day bel,

when aphids; thrips; scale & mealey bugs are in symbiotic relationship with ants you need to move the ants on as most treatment of the bug will not work as the ants have future generations of the bugs stored on the roots. rose growers have a built in barometer when the ants are taking the aphids down to the roots it is probably going to rain. if you hose aphids off with a strong spray of water those dislodged bugs will die on the ground as they or the ants can’t bring them back to the tree, so any follow infestations are likely new bugs.

len

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

Pyrethrum is organic, but I won’t use it as I don’t think it is safe. It is suspected (but not proven) to cause a host of different problems in people. It is a neurotoxin.

I think that some of the non organic poisons are safer than some of the organic poisons. You really have to research any poison before you use it so that you can be informed about any undesired effects that may arise.

Also I agree with Len, ants are most likely your biggest issue as they farm the aphids.

Anonymous

does that include natural pyrethrum’s?

for me i would only use low key for aphids etc.,. and ants, once you stop the ants the other symbiotic relatives perish.

len

BelBel

I can certainly stop the ants – I plan to use some sort of horticultural glue around the base. The tree is so badly infested with aphids that I need to do something drastic to get rid of them first. If you could see the tree, you would realise that a hose won’t quite cut it. Scrubbing brush might but it’s in blossom and it would rub off all the forming fruit 🙁

Anonymous

g’day bel,

still try the hard spray of water if you can spare teh water, you will be surprised. look at companion planting/guild[permaculture term], those french marigolds can detract ants, as can growing nasturtiums etc.,. can also help along with growing garlic chives even garlic. we never had aphids on our citrus but did have nasturtiums.

there is a tape that can be used to trap the ants as they try to climb the trunk, use proper gel but do not use vaseline.

when treating trees as above be sure nothing makes contact with the tree above you treatment line, no tips touching no long other plants of the ants will create a way past your efforts.

take care good luck and keep us informed please.

len

BelBel

Well, I’ve ordered some ‘Trappitt’ horticultural glue from Green Harvest. Also some natrasoap which is good for veggies too. I’ll give the aphids a good spray with the hose as well as we do have rainwater tanks that are full at the moment. Hopefully the glue once it arrives will stop the ants in their tracks as they also like to get into the forming peaches :angry: Funny that they’ve taken a liking to this particular tree which is probably the biggest/healthiest tree of the lot. I managed to control the aphids in the smaller trees because it was easier to cover every last crevice with the Eco-oil.

KristyKristy

Thanks for the warning Bel, I will check my peach tree over the weekend (I think I have a peach lol)

lmd80lmd80

Hi, hope you got rid of the aphids Bel. I too have rose bushes covered in Aphids!! Is the best method of removal hosing??? I have planted garlic and onion in the my rose garden but obviously not enough as the aphids came anyway :angry:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.