Aussies Living Simply

Best brand of dehydrator to buy?

Home Forums HOMEMADE Home Preserving, Food Storage and Stockpiling Best brand of dehydrator to buy?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Merewyn

I’m just wondering if anyone has a certain brand of dehydrator they would recommend? I am looking to get one in the next few weeks, mainly to be able to dehydrate gluts of in-season veges, dehydrate herbs so that I can make my own herbal teas, and my son loves beef jerky. I have looked at both the Ezi-dry brand and Excalibur, Excalibur say that they do a different system which dries more thoroughly. Any suggestions?

Linda

calliecat
    Participant

some have variable temp control, and some don’t – if anything get one of those, I would like an excalibur one myself – personally – just like the look of it 🙂

Bel

I’ve got a Fowlers dehydrator. I love it. I dry mainly fruit, but I also make fruit leathers which turn out really well. I’ve bought extra trays and racks very easily on ebay. It’s quite quiet although I run it outside anyway. It’s easy to clean too. I can’t recommend it highly enough

GirlFriday

I have a Harvestmaid which is very similar to the Ezidry. Mine has variable temperatures- i use it mainly for herbs.

Love it to bits.

Jessiebean

I would love to know if anyone has any more thoughts on dehydrators as I am thinking of buying one and I am tempted by some of the cheap ones but don’t want to waste my money!

boonahgirl2

I agree with Bel, I have a Fowler Vacola. I’m drying mainly fruit at present.

sue e

I bought mine at homeart for $29.95. I have used it a couple of times to dry tomatoes and am really happy with it. It does have variable temps as well. 🙂

Jessiebean

I have a friend who has the homeart one too and she says that apart from needing mesh sheets for drying small stuff it works well, I couldn’t find them on the website yesterday though:(

bdm6125

I see them in the Quokka (WA paper) and Gumtree quite often. People seem to think ‘wow’ and then ‘boring’ and sell them pretty cheaply! Wish someone would do that do a Thermomix!!!! :laugh:

I bought a Nara and love it.

Robyne

I have a fowlers that I have had for over 15 years and still going well. Drying apricots today, Have dried cherries last week came out lovely,

my friend has Ezy dry and there’s not much difference between them.

Will be doing onions next week in the shed

GoingGreen

i got an Ezi-dry for christmas last year & i love it you can purchase extra trays & can stack up to about 15 or 20 i think.

i have dried heaps of fruit, just before christmas i dried 5 trays of mango cheeks mm yum

i can highly recommend the Ezi-dry.

artemia

Just made an appointment to check out the EZI-DRI dehydrator tomorrow morning. Looking forward to hopefully coming home with one if it looks like it is a worthy machine. :wave: Have researched and sounds like a good middle of the range.

artemia

Yay! just returned with a brand new dehydrator. Reading instructions carefully.Im excited and will be heading off to the cheap fruit shop soon to start experimenting. Apples,bananas and kiwi fruit(only if its cheap).Ohh. Not only did I purchase the dehydrator but I also fell in love with the vac sealing machine so two new toys to play with :laugh:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.