Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Best Books to buy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    HTHT

Morning All

I need some help choosing some light reading which I will need to do over the next few months/years. Which are the best Permaculture books you have read which helped you shape or reshape your urban/rural plot of land on which you grow food.

Cheers

HT

Also what is a good web site for designing a home,money and measurements are just not my thing,so being about to design a solar passive home is going to take all of the limited patience I have.So far I want a rammed earth cottage with verandahs all around,wooden floors a BIG kitchen and a wood stove I can cook on….the rest is iffy.

Who cooks on a tile fire and what have you got,I dont mean like a metters that i have to cook in…..just one where I can cook soup on…iam more a princess survivalist than anything else 🙂

HT

MuzzyMuzzy

Intro to Perm, Perm one, Perm 2 -Bill Millison, Gaiias Garden – Toby Hemmingway, Earth Users Guide to Perm- Rosemary Morrow, The permaculture home garden -Linda Woodrow Companion plnting- Belinda little ( A MUST). Organic Veg gardening – Annette MCFarlane, All Jackie French. are all good books and get you enthused. Perm a designers Manual is not a light read but is very good as a follow up to the others. These are all the books I started with before I read the Designers Manual. Have fun 🙂

pavbenthpavbenth

I’m currently reading my way through “Introduction to Permaculture” (Mollison, 1995). I got it, rather than “Permaculture: A Designers Manual”, because it was what was available at the time and seems to be targeted at a more ‘entry level’ readership. So far, so good. Next will be “Permaculture: Principles and Pathways Beyond Sustainability” (Holmgren, 2002).

pavbenthpavbenth

… I definitely need to check out “The Permaculture Home Garden (Woodrow, 2002) too. I read Woodrow’s fantastic blog, “The Witches Kitchen”, and her writing is very agreeable indeed.

mudhenmudhen

I bought Linda’s “Permaculture home garden” after taking it out of the library so regularly that I realized that I needed my own copy. It is a good book, but do read some reviews. Don’t think that hers is the only way, or that the ideas she proposes will necessarily work in other settings. Still, I make my compost following her directions and have never had a bad batch! And I do love her blog, too! Particularly for those in SA, I bought Peter Bennett’s “Organic Gardening” and have found it to be an excellent resource.

SnagsSnags

Bills Permy book changed my life for ever.

Cant think of another book that has done any where near that.

pavbenthpavbenth

I really need to get a library membership. It’s now on the todo list for next week.

– Get library membership and read extensively on permaculture and all other things.

TropicalRoseTropicalRose
    Participant

Easy Home Permaculture – No Money, No Muscle, No Worries by Gail Billing at Amazon.com. Its a good introduction for beginners, is Australian and has some good tips for everyone. Its available only as an ebook and is quite cheap.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

depends on the type of garden you like, (tidy and neat or jungly and sprawling) – I personally like Jackies Wilderness garden,

also got a Earth Users guide to permaculture by Rosemary Morrow

SnagsSnags

TropicalRose post=358684 wrote: Easy Home Permaculture – No Money, No Muscle, No Worries by Gail Billing at Amazon.com. Its a good introduction for beginners, is Australian and has some good tips for everyone. Its available only as an ebook and is quite cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BTMTBCQ

Is this good for subtropics ?

I find a lot of books arent.

If it is I will get my library to buy a copy for everyone to read.

The title says it all.

The main problem with most gardening books, its all about going to the shop and buying stuff so you can be a good gardener,yet the people who need it most cant afford to.

PS

nice plug of your own book 😉

pavbenthpavbenth

Perhaps you have identified an opportunity for a new book, Snags? One that talks permaculture and gardening but on a very limited budget.

Permaculture in general is inclusive. The concept of yields proves this. When one observes their environment they may observe it in terms of its yields. The weeds – what might they be good for; what are their yields? Some may be edible – to humans or animals. Some may be useful for this or that. Some may provide a good workout in pulling them up. For example, I need some stakes for my tomatoes – they are growing so quickly and it has been very windy here of late. Rather than just go out and buy a ‘solution’ I have been paying a lot of attention to my environment to see if it will yield me a solution. The next door neighbour has a massive clump of bamboo – much of it pretty sad looking. I intend to go over tonight and ask whether they can give me some.

The concept of yields is vital to the true fulfillment of the “people care” tenet.

TropicalRoseTropicalRose
    Participant

You’re just too sharp Snags, lol. Yes I was living in the tropics when I wrote it and a lot of the wisdom comes from the wonderful people here plus my own experience and research. Permaculture principles apply to all climates though and there’s a bit on each. Definitely written for those on a budget or who want to reduce, reuse and recycle. Also written for people who have physical challenges like me. You can preview the first chapter at Amazon and decide if it is useful to you. 🙂

SnagsSnags

Does it come in hard copy?

I want it for the local library for heaps of people to read it.

TropicalRoseTropicalRose
    Participant

Not yet but I hope to in the future. I’m glad you like it.

mudhenmudhen

Check with your library, Snags – mine has just bought a bunch of e-readers that people can borrow, so possibly they might be open to purchasing it as an ebook.

There was another gardening book I came across ages ago that was written for the tropics, by a woman in Darwin – will look around and see if I can find the title. Gardening up north really is a different story!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.