Aussies Living Simply

Bel's Wood Oven & Pond (& Fairy Mosaic)

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE CONSTRUCTION, ENERGY and WATER CONSERVATION Backyard projects Bel's Wood Oven & Pond (& Fairy Mosaic)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Kristy

Looks fantastic Bel, so pizza’s at your place now? lol

Kristy

Wow that mosaic looks really good too! You guys have been busy πŸ™‚

BlueWren

Love it!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

That was for the fire! Just found the mosaic on next page.That will look great on the fence.You could put something in mosaic on the oven dome!!

Bel

Thanks guys. We have been busy. As for the mosaic on the wood oven, DH says NOOO! We baked our first loaf of bread and pizzas in the oven today. Yum!!!

BlueWren

I guess he’s got the right to veto mosaics on the oven!Looks amazing – and so does the food.That will get a lot of use I am sure.

dierich

That bread and pizza look YUMMMMMM!

Ravyk

That looks awesome! I really want to build a pizza oven

froot_loopz

the oven looks fantastic bel

and the fairy mosaic, looks wonderful.

how big are your sisters turtles? Ive always wanted a turtle so maybe interested

mauzi

Hi Bel, Dont get much of a chance to visit ALS at the moment but just had to have a look at your projects. Fantastic ….really impressive. :clap: :clap: :clap: I love both of your projects, very clever indeed.

Bel

Thanks everyone! We are really amazed with the wood oven. After cooking bread and pizza in it yesterday, we closed it up over night. It was still 230 degrees this morning! Around lunch time, we put in a silverside roast covered in tomato passata and stacks of herbs and veggies. It slow-cooked all day without needing any wood at all. Then I put in a bread & butter pudding for dessert. Yum! All from 1 firing yesterday. This is a very economical way to cook. We can get about 3 days of cooking from 1 firing – the insulation is key. We’re hoping to invite others from around the neighbourhood to use the oven when it’s on the go to make the most of it cos it’s pretty big.

fruit_loopz – my sister’s turtles vary in size – from about 12-15 cm across the shell (give or take). Let me know if you’re interested. πŸ™‚

Bel, you are an inspiration! What a talented hubby you have too. The oven looks awesome, I can almost smell that pizza just looking at it. The mosaic is amazing too. I hope you’ll post a pic of it in situ behind the fairy garden when it’s up.

Did you get the insulation blanket stuff from the Kent Town place? What’s it called?

Bel

Here’s a couple of photos of the fairy mosaic in situ:

BV – we did get the insulation from the place in Kent Town – called Traditional Brick Ovens. It’s made of spun ceramic, or so I’m told by DH – I’m not sure the name of the product though. Here’s a link to their website. The couple that own the shop are very friendly and helpful. The hubby builds brick ovens for people as well, and they have mobile brick ovens for catering etc. A really good shop (they also have some lovely metal wall murals, fire pits, bread baskets etc etc). Here they are: Traditional Brick Ovens

BlueWren

Just gorgeous Bel.Do you please have a rotate button for your pics ?

Bel

Thanks Bluewren! Can’t believe I didn’t think to rotate them myself :blush: A bit easier to see now eh?

BlueWren

MUCH BETTER!! Now we can see it properly. It’s just lovely , and what a pretty garden!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.