Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Bellandarreh Farm

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Property Tales Bellandarreh Farm

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    BelBel

mudhen post=361024 wrote: With all that good stuff going in, I’m sure at least some of those trees will spring back to life! Once you get a certain level of mulch down, you could always plant some green manure. If you get some decent rain through winter, they should take off quite nicely.

good thinking mudhen. Might have to chase up some bulk green manure seed at some stage…

BelBel

mummyjas post=361025 wrote: I hope they all come back for you, would be such a shame if they didn’t make it.

How are you finding it now that daylight savings is over? Must be so dark out there, bet the stars are amazing!

I have been missing daylight savings mj. I run out of time in the afternoons very quickly! You’re right though – the night skies are amazing!!

BelBel

Thought I’d post an update to try and kick the forum along since the crash.  Things have been flying along here on the farm.  We bought 2 x 10 week-old Berkshires last weekend from a Berkshire stud at She-Oak Log – Lynjoleen Berkshires.  They are adorable and were already named Rosie and Jemima – we loved the names, so they’ve stuck.  If all goes well with these 2, then we might consider breeding down the track.

The calves are growing well and have moved on to a larger paddock.  Molly escaped into the adjoining paddock the other night and fretted all night mooing for Henry.  When we noticed what was wrong the following morning, we pushed her back through the fence and narrowed the gap between the wires.  DH is adamant we’re not getting cows again because they’re too hard on fences.  There’s no way I’ll be able to convince him to let us keep Molly as a house cow, unfortunately.

The nights have been getting cold – down to -1 a few weeks ago.  We’ve had the wood fire burning all day and night and can see that we’ll go through tons of wood this winter.  All the wood we’ve cut on the farm needs to cure, so we’re stuck buying wood in for now unfortunately.

The ducks and chickens are getting more adventurous and wandering all around the farm which is great.  I just wish more were laying!!!  My long term project is to get some more coops going for spring so I can separate the breeds and start selling some purebred chicks/pullets and fertile eggs.  One more job to add to the list!!

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

sounds like you have been busy Bel.  😀

mudhenmudhen

I always love seeing your photos and what you’re up to, Bel!  Your piggies look lovely!

If you want some long burning wood, see if you can get ahold of some mallee stumps.  We used them in a small convection heater when we lived in Waikerie and they were the best.  Chopping them up is a good workout, too.
    BelBel

Thanks froot_loopz and mudhen.  DH was just talking about mallee stumps the other night, but I don’t know how easy they are to get hold of.  I might have to ask around at some of the local fodder stores etc.  Rosie & Jemima are lovely little snorty pigs – we love them!

GirlFridayGirlFriday

Looks beautiful Bel- thanks for the lovely photos. I think I am going to pinch your idea of the shadecloth over the vege patch- hopefully it will mean I wont end up looking like a tomato after 5 min working in the patch over Summer.

BobbeeBobbee

Hi Bel,  :-h

Don’t know how I have missed your thread but I have caught up now.    I really enjoy watching and reading about other folks gardens and farms and such so thanks heaps for this one.

You have done lots and are no doubt learning oodles along the way.   Well done you!

:(|)

BelBel

Thanks GirlFriday and Bobbee.  The shade cloth makes a massive difference in the garden.  Even in winter, it seems to provide a degree of shelter and some extra warmth/protection.  We certainly are learning lots as we go.  Thanks for following 🙂  I should do another update soon…

maestroandmemaestroandme

Oh boy looks amazing. Just drooling at your little slice of heaven.

JyeJye

Any updates from the farm? 🙂

diannedianne
    Participant

Hay Bel

may I ask, how big is your cage garden ?

I am most definitely going to have to cage the veg garden and am wondering how big do I need, and I love yours. I am wanting to grow most of our food and extra for family so I guess it will need to be rather big but not sure how big. maybe like a mini market garden? any thoughts?

diannedianne
    Participant

:-h    bump

VanessaVanessa

I am not sure how often Bel visits here, but she has set up a Facebook page as a bit of a blog for her farm https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bellandarreh-Farm/440359832770173?fref=ts which might be an easier way to contact her

JyeJye

Thanks heaps for the link 🙂 great Facebook page !! Worth a look

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.