Aussies Living Simply

Bellandarreh Farm

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Property Tales Bellandarreh Farm

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    lavmanlavman

:hijacked: sorry Bel

Thanks bushy, we have white shade cloth on our shade house, it was given to us second hand 13 years ago, a large nursery was throwing it out as it was damaged in a storm, I had a good look at it yesterday and going by everything I’ve heard lately, I now believe it is 50%, I am going to try and give it a clean up with the pressure cleaner as it is very dark with mildew which would have to change the percentage of light coming through.

We will go for white 50% shade cloth over the garden area, and let the sun come in on the sides in the morning and afternoon, thanks for your help everyone.

Now back to Bellandarreh Farm :whistle:

BelBel

No worries lavman. Glad the thread has been helpful! Cleaning up your shadecloth sounds like a good idea :tup:

KristyKristy

Bel I have been wondering how things are going for you since the move, great to see all your photos, although I feel tired lol, just seeing how much you have done since you have been there. I love how well everything is doing. You guys have been really busy! I need to get back into it myself!

BelBel

Hi Kristy – great to see you on the forum again! Yes, we have been very busy and it is tiring, but the best type of busy! It is the best move we’ve ever made.

Today DH picked up a Wiltshire Horn from Black Springs and last weekend Aphrodite the pregnant alpaca joined the farm. I’ve also been very busy preserving and labelling so I can sell some at market.

The farm now has a gorgeous green hue after all the rain and it is such a joy to be here.

Attached files

JyeJye

The updates are great 🙂 keep them coming!!

BelBel

I’ve been busy making more preserves for the market with mudhen this Saturday. I’ve found that since moving to the hills, there are so many wild fruit trees around for foraging. I’ve scored some beautiful apples and quinces on my trips.

And these are the latest addition to the farm:

The black and white calf is a boy, a pure Fresian. We’ll be raising him for meat. The brown calf is a Fresian x Holstein and was meant to be a boy, but the farmer made a mistake and it’s a girl! Trying to convince DH to keep her as a house cow when she’s bigger, and I think he’s coming around to the idea.

Meanwhile, DH is working on pig-proofing another paddock….

Moving here is one of the best decisions we ever made!

diannedianne
    Participant

Bel, can I ask, how did your children cope with the move. Did they handel it better than you thought?

lavmanlavman

They look happy, it’s good to see them involved. :tup:

BelBel

dianne post=360885 wrote: Bel, can I ask, how did your children cope with the move. Did they handel it better than you thought?

Dianne – the kids coped with the move better than I ever could have dreamed. Not a day goes by that they don’t find something interesting/amazing to see or do and remark that they wouldn’t have had that opportunity if we lived in the city. They are constantly commenting on how glad they are to live on a farm, and how much better their new school is than the last one. My only regret is not doing it sooner!

diannedianne
    Participant

:hug: thank you Bel, that is just what I needed to hear. Am contemplating a really big move and was stressing about how kids would cope. Thank you.

BelBel

mummyjas post=360906 wrote: What gorgeous calves! Will you keep the girl for milking eventually?

Your kids are just lovely, enjoyed my conversations with your girl, it was so refreshing to hear her say “what’s the point of living on a farm if you just spend all day on your ipad?” I have nieces that are a similar age and would never hear something like that from them!

thanks mummyjas. Providing good opportunities and experiences for the kids is one of the big reasons we made the move. Glad DD impressed! Yes, I’m trying to convince DH to let me keep the jersey girl for milking. I think he’s coming around to the idea. After all, where do you get a bottle-raised dairy milker for $25?!

BelBel

dianne post=360913 wrote: :hug: thank you Bel, that is just what I needed to hear. Am contemplating a really big move and was stressing about how kids would cope. Thank you.

No worries Dianne. I was so worried leading up to the move, and now I’m wondering why I bothered worrying at all! If you think a big move is a good idea, it probably is – go for it! Our weekends are so busy and full of wonderful/useful/important family activities since we moved. Today I went with mudhen to a market to sell preserves while DH took the kids to the local farmer’s market to buy the fruit n veg for the weekend and watch some kids cooking demonstrations. Then I returned from my day in Adelaide with the latest new arrivals to the farm:

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

awww ducks, I love ducks.

IdunaIduna

I would would keep the cow and getting AI done doesn’t cost that much for the return (milk and calf). I would be all over it.

I had muscovys once, aren’t they a goose and not a duck but are called ducks?

BelBel

Iduna post=360952 wrote: I would would keep the cow and getting AI done doesn’t cost that much for the return (milk and calf). I would be all over it.

I had muscovys once, aren’t they a goose and not a duck but are called ducks?

That’s good to hear Iduna. Our neighbour has a young beef steer (not sure the exact breed), so I think we might be able to ‘borrow’ him for a few weeks when the time comes. If all else fails, can try AI.

Apparently the jury is out on muscovies. Many books I have read say they’re a goose and not a duck, but others sit on the fence. They have some differences over other ducks (ie 35 day incubation instead of 28, the ducks don’t quack, they graze like geese and don’t need as much access to water). Either way, apparently they’re good egg layers, good mothers and make good meat! Perfect for us 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.