Aussies Living Simply

Bellandarreh Farm

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Property Tales Bellandarreh Farm

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    BelBel

dianne post=360250 wrote: :laugh: I love the way you picked up some chooks on the way home, like the rest of us would just pick a some bread :laugh:

Yep, you’re right Dianne! Love the way you can pick up animals here and the when you have space. We always used to envy those people driving around the hills with cage trailers and sheep inside, but now we’re one of them!

fruit-loopz – I’ve never preserved pears, but plan to give it a go with the Fowlers when mine are ready. I know they don’t ripen on the tree, so I’ll have to pick some beforehand and let them ripen slightly before I bottle them. I know you can also preserve them in red wine and spices. Do you have a preserving set-up? Or you could also dehydrate them….

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

Ive never preserved before, but its something I want to try to do.

If I dehydrated them, they wouldnt get eaten

VanessaVanessa

Fruit_loopz you could always put them on Ripe Near Me (http://www.ripenear.me/) and sell them (or give them away ar trade them)

BelBel

This is our tree full of pears. They’re starting to fall off (with a bit of help from the chookies), so I think I’ll have to start picking them asap. I’m hoping to finish bottling and preserving all the ripe plums first though:

lavman – I’ve attached a few more photos of our shadecloth structure below. It has the pale stuff on top, but layers of darker shadecloth graduated up the sides. I have a spare roll of the pale stuff in the garage, so I’ve taken some pics of that too in case that helps:

Hugh ‘helping’ me pick tomatoes yesterday:

The chicks are getting bigger. Love my menagerie:

Attached files

BelBel

These are the australorps I picked up on Monday – blue x blacks:

Can anyone tell me about the genetics of breeding blue and black australorps and if I need only blues or only blacks to keep the flock ‘pure’ or if I can keep blues and blacks together and end up with chicks that are in the range of blue to black?

I’ve been putting chicken wire under the trees in the orchard to stop the chickens scratching up the roots:

BelBel

Sounds from the dam…. (see if this audio file works)….

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

Vanessa post=360255 wrote: Fruit_loopz you could always put them on Ripe Near Me (http://www.ripenear.me/) and sell them (or give them away ar trade them)

If I dont preserve them I’ll take them to work and sell them to the kids for 10c each

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

Bel that lady up in adelaide hills, that breeds chookens could probably help you with the answer to the chook questions.

cant remember her id off hand

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

I had to do the same thing to my fruit trees, I even have commercial fridge shelving laying flat around two of mine LOL

lavmanlavman

:tup: Thanks very much Bel, I will print the pics and take them to town on Friday and try to compare them with the shade cloth and hopefully find the right one, BTW I am totally jealous of your pear tree.

Fruitful, does the pics of the shade cloth look anything like 50% to you? :shrug:

BelBel

froot_loopz post=360272 wrote: Bel that lady up in adelaide hills, that breeds chookens could probably help you with the answer to the chook questions.

I know who you mean FL – I saw on Gumtree that she’s selling her blue Australorp boy and getting into some other breeds. I’ll give her a call. Can’t for the life of me remember her online name, only her real name!

fruitfulfruitful

it’s really hard to tell lavman, I’ve taken some photos of ours and will see if I can post them…..

no can’t post pictures!!! anyway it looks as though they are similar but Bels looks like a tighter weave, it could be the difference in colour, ours is white hers is beige but from that kind of distance I can see through ours a bit better I think. :shrug:

BelBel

lavman post=360274 wrote: :tup: Thanks very much Bel, I will print the pics and take them to town on Friday and try to compare them with the shade cloth and hopefully find the right one, BTW I am totally jealous of your pear tree.

Fruitful, does the pics of the shade cloth look anything like 50% to you? :shrug:

No worries lavman – good luck with your hunting. My dad was dubious about the whole covered structure when he first saw it, but now that he’s seen the produce that comes out of it, he’s a convert!

I’m in love with my pear tree too. I had a multi-grafted pear tree at our last place, but the most I got was a pear or 2 each year. This one is very productive for its size – it’s true that the Adelaide Hills are a good fruit producing region…

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

Bel post=360276 wrote:

Bel that lady up in adelaide hills, that breeds chookens could probably help you with the answer to the chook questions.

I know who you mean FL – I saw on Gumtree that she’s selling her blue Australorp boy and getting into some other breeds. I’ll give her a call. Can’t for the life of me remember her online name, only her real name!

this is her facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/2AcreWoods

bushybushy

The colour of the shade cloth is very important, white is the only one used by horticulturalists, green is the worst colour, altho some plants like it, for instance orchids

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.