Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Bellandarreh Farm

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Property Tales Bellandarreh Farm

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    dierichdierich
    Participant

Wow Bel, you are not wasting any time in getting the farm up and running! I’m loving your updates, think I’ll have to sit down with hubbie and do an update on our list, both to notice what we have achieved but also prioritise what we want to achieve in 2014.

What’s with your bees – have you done a course(if so, where?) or are they someone else’s on your property etc? We’ve talked about it but not really done any research yet.

BelBel

jaden62 post=359242 wrote: That’s beautiful Bel. I wish we had have been in a situation to get a larger property, but then I know I couldn’t have handled it pretty much on my own. I’m planning on setting up my vege garden under full wire & white shadecloth – I’ve already had words with the possums that the neighbours are feeding. Apparently they’ve decided my tomatoes are fair game too!

If you end up with too many rabbits, I’m sure I could be persuaded to visit you and take some off your hands, along with a few other people who can’t get rabbits easily.

It’s frustrating when the wildlife get the spoils of all your hard work, isn’t it! Our shadecloth area is a Godsend – if you can set up something similar yourself, it’s worth the time/cost/effort. Thankfully ours was already here when we bought the place and has only required a bit of minor maintenance.

I’ll let you know if we end up with too many rabbits – it’s a matter of actually shooting them first!

BelBel

dierich post=359254 wrote: Wow Bel, you are not wasting any time in getting the farm up and running! I’m loving your updates, think I’ll have to sit down with hubbie and do an update on our list, both to notice what we have achieved but also prioritise what we want to achieve in 2014.

What’s with your bees – have you done a course(if so, where?) or are they someone else’s on your property etc? We’ve talked about it but not really done any research yet.

Thanks dierich – we are just so excited to be here that we can’t wait to have all the things we couldn’t have on a suburban block. It’s good to keep a log or some sort of record of progress so that you can look back on it and see what you have achieved. I also have a list of priorities for next year – actually, it’s mainly hubby’s list as it’s a lot of the bigger manual labour jobs!

I have not done any bee keeping courses. I’m just going to wing it! I’ve been reading on-line and also planning to buy some books. These were for sale on gumtree and I didn’t want to miss out on them, so I bought them without knowing much myself. The young guy who sold them to me was very helpful and I can email/ring him if I need to ask him questions. I plan to join the Beekeepers’ Society of SA at some stage too. I tend to just jump into things and work things out as I go along….

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

its gorgeous Bel.

Just got back from my dads house in Denmark (WA) and I so want a few acres now, he is on 6 acres, just big enough to run a few sheep.

BelBel

froot_loopz post=359284 wrote: its gorgeous Bel.

Just got back from my dads house in Denmark (WA) and I so want a few acres now, he is on 6 acres, just big enough to run a few sheep.

thanks froot_loopz. Acres sure do give you lots of options! I hope you had a great holiday 🙂

redhen2redhen2

Hey Bel. That is all very lovely. I love, love the Adelaide Hills. How much land do you have? Were you in Qld before?

Maybe just doing it is the way to go. And maybe a soft brown puppy tummy makes everything okay.

kathy

BelBel

redhen2 post=359345 wrote: Hey Bel. That is all very lovely. I love, love the Adelaide Hills. How much land do you have? Were you in Qld before?

Maybe just doing it is the way to go. And maybe a soft brown puppy tummy makes everything okay.

kathy

Thanks Kathy – we love it too! We have 25 acres here – just enough. We were in metro Adelaide before that on house block about 840m2. We’re big believers in ‘just doing it’ – seems to have worked for us so far.

That little brown tummy is in the bad books tonight! He’s just not getting the hang of toilet training and I’ve just decided he can start sleeping outside at night. It’s very warm here and he’s got more room outside to play in than the laundry anyway….

BelBel

mummyjas post=359433 wrote: What a lovely place! Glad you are enjoying it. Have you been to the market yet, have been trying to get there myself, but haven’t made it yet.

Yep, I go the market every Saturday – it’s excellent!

BelBel

mummyjas post=359460 wrote: great, will make an effort to get there, have been a bit disappointed with some of the other markets I have checked out.

It’s not a short drive though! Have you tried the Farmer’s Market at Parafield on Saturday and Wednesday mornings? Just behind the P.A.L.S and Bunnings on the corner of Kings & Main North Roads. I used to do much of my fresh food shopping there when I lived in town, and it’s grown even more since then…

BelBel

Finally a quiet day with no visitors to get a few things done around the farm.

Went to the Mt Pleasant market this morning and picked up a few herb seedlings for the spot I have ear-marked near the house for herbs.

Jointed one of the roosters I killed the other week and it’s slowly bubbling away on the stove on its way to making coq au vin.

I noticed one of the chicks was missing this morning. I looked everywhere, but there was no sign/sound of it anywhere, so I assumed that maybe a snake had taken it. I enlisted the help of the kids who turned over a small icecream tub I use for feeding scraps to the chickens, and it was trapped underneath. Poor thing was hot and bothered, but soon found its mum and had a good drink of water. I’m so glad we found it before is slow-baked under the tub!!

Lastly, I’m planning to make a chicken scratch bed for the chickens to have their own greens.

I’ll post photos if I get any of it done!

BelBel

Gah, just did a big update and then my internet dropped out!

A few more photos of our farm:

A couple of our 5 Wiltshire Horn sheep. Lovely girls. They come to the fence to see if we have food for them. DH put up some temporary fencing today to form a run in their paddock and they’re already going in there to look for food. One of our dorpers is going to the butcher next weekend, so we need to practice rounding them up.

The fruit in the orchard is finally starting to ripen – yippee!

The tomato plants are growing taller and have lots of small fruit. None ripening yet, unfortunately:

This is my humane poultry dispatcher and my first attempt at dissecting it into cuts ready for coq au vin tonight – yum!

dierichdierich
    Participant

wow, look at all your fruit! I think you’ll be busy preserving before too long!

VanessaVanessa

How did you go with killing the chooks? I’d love to know more about the poultry dispatcher, and how it works

diannedianne
    Participant

:jawdrop: that fruit looks so good.

BelBel

Vanessa post=359506 wrote: How did you go with killing the chooks? I’d love to know more about the poultry dispatcher, and how it works

I did the first chook with the killing cone alone and although it was very easy and death was instant (I beheaded it with a very sharp knife), it was very confrontational. The plucking and gutting was fiddly and took me a while.

With the next two, I used the poultry dispatcher which snapped their necks and severed their spinal cords without breaking the skin. Death was also instant, but not nearly as grisly or confrontational. I still hung them after breaking their necks, and slit their throats to drain the blood, but felt better about it all.

The plucking was quicker/easier next time around (I had a portable gas burner and pot of hot water which helped a lot) as was the gutting because I knew what I was feeling for. I froze them all whole and jointed them later as I needed to cook with them. The jointing wasn’t too bad either.

Like any skill, I’m sure it will get quicker and easier the more I do it.

Here is some more info about the human poultry dispatcher:

https://www.morriganfarm.com.au/?m=page&i=187&instructions

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.