Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Bellandarreh Farm

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Property Tales Bellandarreh Farm

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    JyeJye

That looks awesome! Great work 🙂 look forward to regular

Updates 🙂

fruitfulfruitful

WOW Bel, that veggie garden is AWESOME, reminds me a bit of what they did at Joes Connected Garden on facebook recently but they covered their place with bird netting. That is the sort of set up that is absolutely essential with our summers – I’ll show my husband those pictures over the weekend. Is that wire around the outside small enough to stop birds?? That would be half of your problems with natives helping themselves to your food, all you would have to deal with then are the creepy crawlies. I’ve had a problem with tiny ants helping themselves to my strawberries, I think I’ve solved the problem by re purposing my washing basket trolley into a plant stand!

BelBel

We were pretty impressed when we saw it Fruitful – it was one of the big selling points (or buying points!) for us. We get hard frosts here too, and I think it helps with that. The bottom half of the walls also has shadecloth around it to keep out rabbits/other birds etc. The top half is just chicken wire – I imagine tiny little birds could come in although the only time I’ve seen any birds in there is when I’ve left the big gate open and a magpie has come in. The bees seem to come and go freely through the chicken wire which is the main thing. The shadecloth had a few holes in it when we got here, but DH stitched them up and it’s as good as new. There are support poles through the garden with wire strung across them. These are tensioned with gripples to keep the shadecloth up. The shadecloth could do with being re-strung a bit tighter from the ends, but that’s too much work to contemplate at the moment!

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

Good to see you back Bel, your place looks fantastic.

BelBel

Five little chicks have hatched! I know there’s an Australorp, a Speckled Sussex and either 1 Barnevelder and 2 Welsummers or the other way around. It’s hard to tell the stripy chicks apart! Only 5 chicks hatched out of 12 which isn’t an amazing return, but I swapped them for a rooster, so I’m not complaining. The mother, Wendy, is such a good mum. She’s always clucking to show them food and where to go.

Sadly, none of Ethel’s chicks hatched 🙁 She broke a few eggs early on, and I think the mess may have contaminated the other eggs. I was lucky enough to get hold of some partially incubated eggs during the week though and they’re due to hatch this Wednesday. I did the switcheroo during the week, taking the bad eggs away from Ethel, and she’s none the wiser. She’s sitting tight on the new eggs and should have 8 chicks come this Wednesday – the eggs were candled in front of me, so I know they’re fertile. Holding my breath until Wednesday now!

BelBel

Summer weather here on the farm!

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Cute chicks Bel 🙂

I am having a problem with rats taking the babies here.. It’s awful 🙁

BelBel

Humbug post=359112 wrote: Cute chicks Bel 🙂

I am having a problem with rats taking the babies here.. It’s awful 🙁

Oh, that is awful Humbug!! I guess the mummies can’t stop them? Is there any way you can put wire around the bottom of the coop to keep them out?

Gabs247Gabs247

wow, fantastic, i’m jealous!!!

BelBel

A farm wouldn’t be complete without a puppy. Meet Hugh! Named after Mr Fearnley-Whittingstall, my inspiration!

BelBel

6 more chicks! 2 died trying to hatch, I don’t know why :shrug:

Attached files

diannedianne
    Participant

:hug: Am so happy for you, and so jelous at the same time :blink:

We are in the middle of trying to sort between two places, one ready to go or one we would have to build from scratch. Would prefer from scratch, but now I just want to get started after seeing all the fun you are having.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE keep on posting so the rest of us can keep dreaming. :tup:

BelBel

dianne post=359193 wrote: :hug: Am so happy for you, and so jelous at the same time :blink:

We are in the middle of trying to sort between two places, one ready to go or one we would have to build from scratch. Would prefer from scratch, but now I just want to get started after seeing all the fun you are having.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE keep on posting so the rest of us can keep dreaming. :tup:

Thanks Dianne. We thought it was a dream we would have to put on the back-burner for many more years. In the end, we just went with it and it’s the best move we’ve ever made! I’ll be sure to keep updating 🙂

Good luck with your ‘sorting’. I hope you get to start your dream soon too :hug:

BelBel

It’s been a busy few weeks! Last night I picked up 2 bee hives – woohoo! Can’t wait to start harvesting our own honey.

Here is a photo of our 7 sheep – 5 Wiltshire horns and 2 Dorpers. The dorpers are meant to be full shedders, but as you can see, 1 hasn’t lost its fleece, so we’ll probably send her to the butcher instead of breeding from her as we had originally planned. A couple of the sheep were a bit skinny when we picked them up, so we’ve been giving them some supplementary feed to get their condition up a bit.

Here’s a photo of one of the 2 resident sleepy lizards in the veggie garden. It’s not happy because I weeded the area where it was living and it had to find alternative accommodation!

And, last of all, just a photo of our dry creek. I love these old gums. They are home to many raucous galahs at the moment, but I don’t mind the noise.

Since I last posted, I culled another 2 roosters and I’m getting quicker at the plucking/gutting. Next I’ll try my hand at the butchering into various cuts as these I’ve just left whole and will boil them as soup (I don’t know the age of these birds as they were given to me).

jaden62jaden62

That’s beautiful Bel. I wish we had have been in a situation to get a larger property, but then I know I couldn’t have handled it pretty much on my own. I’m planning on setting up my vege garden under full wire & white shadecloth – I’ve already had words with the possums that the neighbours are feeding. Apparently they’ve decided my tomatoes are fair game too!

If you end up with too many rabbits, I’m sure I could be persuaded to visit you and take some off your hands, along with a few other people who can’t get rabbits easily.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.