Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Beekeeping Equipment – Advice Please

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE BEE Keeping Beekeeping Equipment – Advice Please

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    pennypenny

I’ve been looking up bee descriptions and mine don’t fit the size people have described also they do not bzz. I wonder if they could be something other than a bee? I hope they are a bee So I will keep looking for info.

fruitfulfruitful

Hi Bel, so sad to hear about your bees, I have been wanting to get bees but since we live smack bang in the middle of cropping country I haven’t been game, that list to give the farmers would be interesting to see. On another note, if you clean out your hives and get them set up you may have some bees move in?! we had a swarm that hung around for a while but they went off and I always wonder if we’d had a box would they have made our place their home??

Penny, we also have blue banded bees here, I only see them hanging around the back door during our heatwaves, they also do not buzz when I see them, they are pretty distinct though so I think what you describe is blue banded bee. They will behave differently at different times and also can vary in size depending on where they live and their age etc. Be interesting if you find out anything differently.

BelBel

I did wonder if a wild swarm might voluntarily move into the hive fruitful. That would be perfect! There is still some honey left inside, so maybe it might attract some wild bees. I have no idea though – probably just wishful thinking!!

philburtphilburt

Hi Bel

Sorry to hear about your bees. I had a chat to a friend who has hives on a farm near you, it is a bad season due to the lack of flowers on the gums and this might have weakened your hives. If you are looking for a book make sure it is Australian as we do thing differently to the US and Europe. Also if you are buying equipment on EBay be aware that some of the stuff from China is not suitable for Australia i.e. queen excluders that don’t.

BelBel

Thanks for the info philburt. When I bought them, they were very strong hives and I had only had them for a couple of months at most. They went from busy and active one day to mass deaths the next, not a slow death over time. The only thing that seems to fit is pesticide poisoning πŸ™

Having said that, I do plan to plant more native flowering plants for when I get the hives up and going again. We have a lot of grevilleas around the place, but could do with more natives, that’s for sure.

I have bought BeeAgskills with is a NSW Dept Primary Industries book – recommended busylizzie. It is really good. I’ve also borrowed a stack of books from the library. The equipment I bought was only the manual handling stuff, and seems to be really good (cotton suit etc). When I get into hive repairs and that sort of thing, I’ll buy them locally πŸ™‚

GirlFridayGirlFriday

Thats really sad to hear about your bees Bel πŸ™ It does sound like pesticides. Another thing to cause mass deaths like that can be chilling the hive- if they get too cold they can have lots die and then there isnt enough to keep the rest of them alive.

You can always ring the council and put your name down with them in Spring if anyone has rung them for a swarm removal. Also any beekeeping stores or beekeeping groups that are local may also get contacted about swarms. The bees are usually really docile when they are swarming so its a cheap way to get new bees.

I have four hives and have been keeping them for more than 2 years now and plan to split them again next Spring to have 8 hives. Its rather addictive this beekeeping caper.

At present due to the dry conditions I only have one hive on my property and the other three are spread out on friends properties. This also reduces the risk of losing them all due to a toxic thing like spraying or fire. I do share honey with my three immediate neighbours too (its an old Irish Brehon law tradition that you shared honey) so I find they are usually so happy with the honey that you can suggest kindly that perhaps they could spray in the evenings if they needed to… I am also thinking of moving the one hive to a midpoint in my paddock to reduce the overspray likelyhood from neighbouring properties.

I did read somewhere that Ant Sand was really bad for bees. I cant remember where but I do remember being disappointed because I have a nice big container of it and ants are always a problem but i wont use it now.

Good luck with your further beekeeping adventures.

BelBel

Thanks for that info girlfriday. Will have a chat to the council and neighbours when spring comes. I notice that some people also advertise free swarm removal on gumtree and the like. It definitely wasn’t cold that killed the bees as it was hot weather around that time. I really do wonder if the ant sand had something to do with it, so will steer away from that next time. To see so many dead bees piling up around the hive was awful :{ I’m hoping that things will go ok next time so I can get really stuck into it (pun intended!).

GirlFridayGirlFriday

Its a really sweet hobby to get into and I have found local beekeeping equipment store staff are usually a hive of information (did you see what I did there? :laugh: )

BelBel

GirlFriday post=360742 wrote: Its a really sweet hobby to get into and I have found local beekeeping equipment store staff are usually a hive of information (did you see what I did there? :laugh: )

Sounds like it’s a hobby that could keep me very buzzy! :laugh:

GirlFridayGirlFriday

I am sure we could wax lyrical all night πŸ™‚

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.