Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

bee keeping record cards

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE BEE Keeping bee keeping record cards

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ruthyruthy

Just been reading about the benefits of keeping good accurate records for hive inspections. What records do other bee keepers use here? Im guessing the obvious is brood, weather, honey, pollen etc. I would love to hear what info you record and how useful it has been. I am new to bee keeping and have one hive with italian bees in our garden. Im planning on making up either a diary or little index cards at weekend and dont want to fall into the trap of buying record cards on internet.

SnagsSnags

I used to freestyle with my bees,no records kept.

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

I use a couple of A4 Lecture pads to keep our records, which include

date, what was sighted, eggs, grubs, brood, Queen, pollens being bought in, honey stores, diseases (none here), when and if you requeen, I number our boxes (we have 14 hives) then each box has a letter, A being the bottom brood box, then b, c ect. Also how much honey is taken out and when. Things like this are helpful to make sure your bees remain strong and you keep a good eye on them, especially to stop any swarming. If I get behind in our records it becomes confusing to what was going on with what hive.

Enjoy your bees.

🙂 Lizzie

ruthyruthy

Thanks busylizzie thats really healpful info. Wow 15 hives. I guess its a commercial business either that or your sure like honey! Have either of you kept bees following the top bar method? Been reading about it and it sounds wonderful!

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Hi Ruthy

Not commercial, just a sideline business to compliment the jams & produce I sell at market/farmgate sales.

We dont have a TBH, although they do look good, they are a bit different in how they work, I can post some links for you when I find them. We started a bee keeping club 18 months ago in our area and have over 80 members, would highly recommend joining your nearest one as the wealth of info from older beekeepers is fantastic, and the nights are always a real buzz with all the talk of bees 🙂

BobbeeBobbee

@ busylizzie :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

@ Bobbs, you should hear a room full of beekeepers and all the b grade jokes that go around. 😆

ruthyruthy

😉

One more question sorry! What do you do/use to keep wax moth out of your stored frames?

Thanks x

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Ask as many questions as you want on here Ruthy 🙂

When you take your stored frames out of the hives, put them into a freezer for atleast 2 days to kill any eggs/larvae that maybe already in them, then put them into something to store them, there are alot of different ways to do this, I put ours into foam boxes with lids, or I put them into spare supers with a plastic sheet underneath and flywire on top, which lets light in, that moths dont like, have to watch for ants thou. Some people like the clear plastic boxes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.