Aussies Living Simply

Bath Salts

Home Forums HOMEMADE Soaps and soapmaking Bath Salts

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Iduna

I have been looking at making my own bath bombs this week but I’m having trouble with colouring them. From what I have read and watched people are using liquid colourants, I don’t have any, but I have mica, oxides and ultramarines. Are any of them okay to use and how much and how would I add them?

Forest Raven

Thanks for the recipe Penny, with only 75g of citric acid, I couldn’t use it tonight without doing my head in with conversions. Will have to try it when I’ve got bulk!

Iduna post=327184 wrote: I have been looking at making my own bath bombs this week but I’m having trouble with colouring them. From what I have read and watched people are using liquid colourants, I don’t have any, but I have mica, oxides and ultramarines. Are any of them okay to use and how much and how would I add them?

I think powdered colours would be better, because the issue with making bath bombs is the moisture added, you only need a tuny bit! This is speaking from experience of making one whole bomb now, plus my reading. I used this recipe:

Orangeball Bath Bomb

Orange Blossom – Traditionally used at weddings as a symbol of purity.

Neroli mixed in an orangeball bath bomb can help to increase circulation, relieving anxiety, melancholy and nervous tension. This is one to use after a hard day at work or with the children!

3 tablespoons of sodium Bicarbonate

1 tablespoon of Citric Acid

5 drops of neroli essential oil

1 teaspoon of finely grated orange peel

Witch Hazel

Sieve the Sodium bicarbonate and Citric Acid and mix in a bowl. Add the orange peel and essential oil slowly so you get the right blend for you. Now spritz lightly with witch hazel. Mix together until the mixture when squeezed doesn’t crumble. Press into moulds. The bath bombs should be taken out of the mould almost immediately and placed on greaseproof paper. Leave orangeball bath bomb (s) to dry for at least 48 hours.

http://www.beauty-soap-and-bubbles.com/bath-bomb-recipes.html

…and it smells beautiful. I’ll try and wait the 48 hours before plonking me and it in the bath together!

I didn’t have a spritzer, so just used drops of water very carefully. I also subbed orange blossom water for the witch hazel, just using what I have! I did have to ‘rescue’ the mix by adding more dry stuff, as not knowing what I ws aiming for, I did go a bit too far -it was expanding in my hand! I was amazed how well the orange peel added an orange tint, very nice and natural. Thinking of trying peppermint tomorrow, adding in some dried peppermint. May or may add one drop of green food colouring because I have it, but would be looking for something more natural if I wanted to sell peppermint ones.

Jem89

Hi Al

Did anyone end up processing the tapioca flour themselves?  Maybe in a thermomix?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.