Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Bath Salts

Home Forums HOMEMADE Soaps and soapmaking Bath Salts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Forest RavenForest Raven

I’ve recently made bath salts and have been trying them out. They are lovely to soak in and soften up my gardeners hands nicely…but it doesn’t seem to matter how much essential oil I add, nor how strongly they smell, once they hit the water the aroma seems to evaporate. Is this normal or is there a secret I need to discover? The recipe is a very simple one just involving sea salt, epsom salts and bi-carb of soda…

ErthgirlErthgirl

Yep, this is what you’re missing…

I made a beautiful bath soak a couple of years ago for Christmas prezzies… I still have a couple of packets… they still smell awesome.

Here’s the link to where I got it from…

http://www.aussiesoapsupplies.com.au/Natrasorb-Bath-pr-479.html

Forest RavenForest Raven

Thanks Erthgirl, I knew someone would know something here! I had seen Natrasorb and was hoping I didn’t have to go to that expense! Oh well, guess I’ll have to try it!

Hmmmm…. maybe. In the code INCI it says tapioca starch. Is it possible that they’ve packaged up tapioca starch and given it a fancy name and price? Since I have that starch in the cupboard, I might just be trying it first! What do you think?

ErthgirlErthgirl

I’d be giving it a go if you’ve already got it in the cupboard.

But whether it would dissolve… or go all glupey?

The natrasorb sounds pretty pricey… but you use hardly any at all… literally a couple of tablespoons per batch… and 250g is probably around 3 zip lock sandwich bags full…. (comes in a one bag)so it would go a long way.

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Here you go, Tapioca Starch – as suspected 🙂

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/reference/tech_data_natrasorb_bath.pdf

What did you pay for your Tapioca Starch F_R?

I’ve seen 500g for $6 ..

Forest RavenForest Raven

I can’t wait to experiment! Erthgirl is right, there is potential for it to go gopey, but it is a tiny amount added. If it turns out Natrasorb is just overpriced tapioca starch, then fantastic, I have a supercheap solution! Thanks fir the link Andre, very interesting. It only lists tapioca starch, but then refers to ‘special processing’. Hmmmm… Very interesting!

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Ah .. the fun of experimenting

Good luck! :tup:

If we don’t hear from you, then we will know you are stuck (but very relaxed) in a bath of sweet-smelling goop 😛

BobbeeBobbee

Andre post=326781 wrote: Ah .. the fun of experimenting

Good luck! :tup:

If we don’t hear from you, then we will know you are stuck (but very relaxed) in a bath of sweet-smelling goop 😛

:woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :woohoo:

Bobbs :hug: :hug: :hug:

ErthgirlErthgirl

Just got some tapioca starch… my natrasorb product is HEAPS finer than this… so maybe the secret is in the processing of the starch? 😉

Forest RavenForest Raven

I’ve had one small trial with the tapioca, no goops! But…although I could faintly smell the salts in the bath, it was very faint. I could faintly smell the scent on my skin after the bath too, so I guess this is an improvement! But I’m still expecting stronger.

Erthgirl, I’m thinking I will have to fork out and try the Natrasorb, just to compare! How would you rate (maybe out of 5, 1 being low scent, 5 being like purfume?) your bath salts once they hit the water? With tapioca mine would be a 1, without tapioca they seem to be a 0. Can I expect a 3?

ErthgirlErthgirl

Yep you can expect a 3… at least :hug:

shadowdancershadowdancer

Forest Raven, could you perhaps blitz your tapioca in a blender?? see if it can become finer? Or perhaps it is Tapioca starch, but a much higher grade marketed as natrasorb?

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Yes.. I was thinking also that the finer the grains, the more potential surface area, so the better ‘holding capacity’ of the oils/perfumes 🙂

Forest RavenForest Raven

Thanks for all your interest in this little project of mine – it’s very inspiring!

I’ve now done lots of reading on Natrasorb, and it would appear that it is the processing of the starch that makes it work (supposedly making a cup shaped molecule to hold the oil). Another alternative is a man-made salt called dendritic salt, which has a star-shaped structure…but is more expensive than Natrasorb. I also had the thought of processing the tapioca starch at home, to see if there’s a difference, great minds must think alike hey?! It’s on the list of things to do now.

I have a small test batch where I’ve added the oil to the starch first, which is what you’re meant to do with Natrasorb, but I didn’t do last time. I’ve also discovered that I’m being too stingy with what I put in the bath, only using 2-3 tablespoons of salts, but I’ve now seen a reference of 1/2 a cup per bath. I’m sure that would make a difference! Still thinking of getting Natrasorb just to have the comparison.

I’ve also moved my interest onto bath bombs (yep, then it will be scrubs and cosmetics knowing me!), have ingedients to do a small test one tonight. Have had trouble getting citric acid (and at a cheap price) though, the box at the wholefoods shop was empty ($10 a kg), and the supermarket only sells 75g packs at $2.39 which seems astronomical to me! Anyone know of a wholesaler with small minimums (like 1kg)? I do have an ABN for my micro business.

pennypenny

I use cornstarch-american for cornflour-use the one from maize not wheat.

This is the recipe

450g bicarb soda

300g citric acid

150g cornstarch

the recipe in the book uses about 25 m of essential oil for this much.

Book Title

Making Scented Soap

Author

Linda Hamblen

Publisher Colins & Brown

IBSN 1-8430-056-1 (hb)

Has several Bath Bombe Recipes

:tup:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.