Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Barcodes

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Petitions Barcodes

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    COBCOB

Not sure if the category is correct but thought some might find this e-mail I was sent very interesting. I certainly feel a little better informed. I know there is a lot more to it such as the breakdown of where the ingredients came from but it all helps.

‘You can print this and take it to the shops

next time you go & check them out

Interesting item on how to tell where your food comes from by knowing the barcodes on the labels.

Please Remember…the Australian barcode prefix is 93

This will cheer you up

PLEASE NOTE – if you love Australia and the thought of keeping jobs here (instead of building other nations like China ), plus you like to eat healthy foods and buy quality products then please read on.

Please also note the Australian barcode prefix is 93.

DANGEROUS IMPORTED FOODS

The whole world is scared of China making ‘black hearted goods’.Can you differentiate which one is made in the USA , Philippines , Taiwan or China ? For your Information …. the first 3 digits of the barcode is the country code wherein the product was made.

Example: all barcodes that start with 690.691.692 until 695 are all MADE IN CHINA.

4 71 is Made in Taiwan.

This is our human right to know, but the government and related department never educate the public, therefore we have to RESCUE ourselves. Nowadays, Chinese businessmen know that consumers do not prefer products ‘made in china’, so they don’t show from which country it is made.

However, you may now refer to the barcode, remember if the first 3 digits is 690 to 695, then it is Made in China .

00 ~ 13 USA & CANADA

30 ~ 37 FRANCE

40 ~ 44 GERMANY

49 ~ JAPAN

50 ~ UK

57 ~ Denmark

64 ~ Finland

76 ~ Switzerland and Liechtenstein

93~ Australia

628 ~ Saudi-Arabian

629 ~ United Arab Emirates

740 ~ 745 – Central America

All 480 Codes are Made in the Philippines.

DO NOT BUY FOOD PROCESSED IN CHINA , HONG KONG , VIETNAM AND THAILAND !!! there are no food inspection regulations!!!

Send to as many people as possible.’

bluezbanditbluezbandit

very interesting. it sent me to my pantry to take a look. mostly 93 here.

deb

pennypenny

That is an interesting bit of information to have, and one of the reasons I shop for veggies I don’t grow at our local fruit and veg place. They even label with the exact location where possible and promote locally grown very strongly. The argument of higher cost is not valid as on most items they are as cheap or cheaper than the big chains, and it supporting our industry.

COBCOB

Well now I’m even more confused.

Maggi seasoning barcode starts with 93 but has “made in China” clearly printed on the label and lentils barcode starts with 93 but has “product of Italy” clearly printed on the label.

I could go on, but I’m hoping that some-one can help me understand. Does anyone here have some knowledge or information they could share to minimise the confusion?

mudhenmudhen

Just a guess, but could the barcode number have more to do with where the product is packaged than it’s actual origin? It could be that the maggi seasoning and lentils come to Aus from overseas in bulk and are then packaged here for sale.

mudhenmudhen

Hmm bit more info here: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/product-bar-codes.shtml

Sometimes pays to check things out further before getting too caught up.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Thanks mudhen …….guess that settles the confusion.Still been interesting though.

crystalcrystal

Australia is pretty honest about where its food comes from. Most the time its written on the package. When its not, or your not sure just give the toll free number that most of them have a call!

COBCOB

I’ll keep searching for information.

I think the Australian standards for labelling of products could do with a complete overhaul. Currently an Australian manufacturer only needs at least 50% Australian product to put on their label “Australian Made”

If anyone has information on labelling standards so I can have a better understanding of what I am buying it would be much appreciated.

crystalcrystal

even 50% aussie made is better than none;)

pennypenny

Listening to the ABC today with a great deal of interest. Last week the question about barcodes was asked of the representative of the Department of Consumer Affairs. At the time he was not certain of the answer so he researched it and gave the answer today. The codes are related to countries but it is often that the company may have it’s home base in another country. The example the caller gave was that ham that was being promoted as Western Australian Under the “West is Best” promotion had a Canadian barcode. It turned out that the product was Western Australian under the act but the parent company was Canadian. So though that was cleared up it does not make it any easier for us to buy Australian, sigh back to the drawing board.

COBCOB

Thanks for trying though penny

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.