Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Bamboo in Adelaide

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    dierichdierich
    Participant

Does anyone know where I can buy bamboo plants in Adelaide? I’m wanting to get a reasonable amount of Gracilis clumping bamboo for a windbreak, but have so far only found it at one place for $88 for a fairly small clump, and I’ll need about 10!

I’ve seen I can buy it online from interstate cheaper per plant, but then have freight costs which brings the cost back up again.

Any ideas?

Thanks

KristyKristy

dierich I can’t help, but would like to get a couple of bamboo plants myself as I think you can eat the young bamboo??? and would like the mature bamboo as stakes, but I have found it very expensive too. I hope someone caqn help…

BlueWrenBlueWren

Bamboo is expensive everywhere I’ve found.I could only afford two from our local market , but they were under $20 each.Does anyone sell at a market near you? Or would a cheaper variety suit your purpose? I guess climate determines your choice of variety as well.

dierichdierich
    Participant

I haven’t found any that were much cheaper BlueWren! Saw this type growing and it looked fairly neat and tidy and while its function will be a windbreak, it will also be in a very visible area, overlooked from the kitchen windows and will block out the shed, so I don’t want one that will look too ratty over time. Although we have been eyeing off some that’s growing around a vineyard on our way home 🙂 Might try posting on freecycle and gumtree and see if I can find any that way.

DelldgmDelldgm
    Participant

Im about to plant a windbreak/stake supply and was wondering if you had any luck finding a good place to get bamboo.

dierichdierich
    Participant

No, but I did stop looking as we decided to move! Now that we’re settled in our new property I’ll probably start looking again. Occasionally someone at Morphett Vale has it for sale via gumtree.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.