Aussies Living Simply

Azolla in WA

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Wanted Azolla in WA

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Hello all! Top of the morning to you, to be sure :hug:

I have been reading about azolla and what a great mulch it is and how prolifically it grows and so forth, and have been on the lookout for it with not much luck (where on earth to look??). I wondered if there was anyone in WA growing it who would give/sell some to me. I have looked on ebay but I don’t know if they can post it to WA, although one person said they would, so that might work out.

Or does anyone know where I can get it from?

Thank you SOOO kindly in advance,

The Parsnips Are Dirty

mrgnomemrgnome

You will normally find azolla growing in the pots of pond plants at water-garden centres.. try watergarden world ( two locations – victoria park and armadale ) :blink:

MuzzyMuzzy

Check to see if Azolla is allowed in WA, from memory its an aquatic weed here. I had the AG department sussing out my pond for remnants of it a couple of years back. 🙂

mrgnomemrgnome

Azolla is native to WA and is not defined as a weed or controlled species. If you live near Kent St Weir, I know that a few of the small drains feeding into Canning River at that location also support large amounts of Azolla.. You will only need a few small pieces.. it reproduces asexually and can populate a pond/water-body extremely fast. :jawdrop:

Muzzy… if the Ag Dept were visiting regarding an aquatic weed species, I would guess it was a Salvinia sp.

Good thinking Muzzy. I will go have a looksee

*wanders off, whistling*

Well, from what I can find… I checked the WA database of declared plants and it wasn’t on there, and I found a brochure thng from the city of Belmont explaining why it doesn’t “manage” the local azolla, and that it was not consdered a noxious weed in WA. Perhaps it used to be but isn’t now?

ETA mrgnome you beat me to it 🙂 Good to know anyway. Because I wants me some azolla.

mrgnomemrgnome

Dirty Parsnips.. are you NoR or SoR? And where are you planning to keep the Azolla.. do you have an established pond?

I am down south near Nannup. I haven’t got a pond but when I was reading about azolla lots of people said it could be grown in any sort of container – buckets, wading pools etc, so that was my general sort of plan. I ordered some from Ebay from someone who said they could post to WA so we’ll see how we go. 🙂

mrgnomemrgnome

Azolla will grow in anything that can hold water; though to propagate it in a quantity that will enable you to use it as mulch or as a supplement to your compost pile will require inputs of nutrients and a large surface area. Down Nannup way you will find Azolla will do well from say october thru to mid-april, with production decreasing significantly as the weather cools. If you can source any, duck-weed will co-habitate well with your Azolla 😛

BarbBarb

I have duckweed growing in the drains out the back. I scoop it out and give it to the fish and the chooks. The chooks seem to really like it. It dies off over Summer when the drains dry out but comes back with the rains…

I could get you some if you want some.

Barb.

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

Barb post=349283 wrote: I have duckweed growing in the drains out the back. I scoop it out and give it to the fish and the chooks. The chooks seem to really like it. It dies off over Summer when the drains dry out but comes back with the rains…

How do you feed it to your chooks? I have read about how great it is for them but have never been able to convince mine to eat any. I have tried fresh, dry, and floating on a container of water and mine have never tried any.

I love duckweed and have kept some growing for years. I have composted it, used it as a green mulch for seedlings and have even eaten some on occasion.

BarbBarb

Mukluk, I just toss it into them and they rush to get it. It is fresh, I scoop some out of the drain every now and then when I am out the back and think of it. Maybe mine are more hungry than yours…

Barb.

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

Thank you Barb. I think my chooks are too spoilt for choice, they free range over a few acres of orchard and pasture yet only ever venture into a small part of it. Next time I keep them locked up I will try feeding duckweed again.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.