Aussies Living Simply

Avocado ice cream?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mudhen

These are on my list of things to try:

http://www.veggie-wedgie.com/?p=1505/

Honestly, I would never have thought of using avocados as a base for chocolate ice cream. Next time I go to the market and there are cheap boxes of avos, I know what I’ll be making!

Erthgirl

Yum!

Thanks mudhen.

I recently made a similar mix for my son’s birthday cake icing… just avocado, raw cacao (cocoa) and agave to sweeten…

Makes a beautiful chocolate/mousse/frosting type thing.

What a great idea to thin it out and make ice creams out of it! :tup:

Lina

We do something very similar using carob powder and honey and coconut cream with the avocado and lime juice.The lime juice gives it an amazing flavour.

goodfood

It sound cool..the most loved dessert around the world is ice cream! I have never known any person who doesn’t like it.

kerrip

Wow they sound yummy.

Where do you buy agave syrup from?

mudhen

I had a go at actually making this the other day, picked up a box of slightly over-ripe avocados at the market for $5, so not much to lose!

Before freezing, as a pudding like Erthgirl described, it was AMAZING! The texture and volume were like the most wonderful thick custard. I only used 3/4 cup organic cocoa, and that was plenty. I froze some in icy-pole containers and the rest I put thru my ice cream maker. It didn’t fluff up like normal ice cream in the churn, probably because there’s no cream in it, and when it came out of the freezer the next day, it was pretty solid and hard to get out of the container. Still tasted good but easier to eat on a stick. My youngest loves it and I’m happy to feed it to her, my boys (teens) were very dubious and one couldn’t finish his after being half-way thru when the secret of it’s ingredients was spilled!

Erthgirl

Thanks mudhen… it’s good to know how it turns out….

Funny how your teens were eating it before the discovery of the secret ingredient! haha

mudhen

kerriep, you can get agave syrup at the health food store. It’s not cheap, I paid $8 for about a 250g bottle, and couldn’t bring myself to use it (the whole bottle!) in the ice cream. I used a grape syrup that I made last summer (to use as ice cream topping) instead, but I think you could make a simple heavy sugar syrup and use that or honey (even thinned down a bit) instead.

erthgirl, no worries. It does make delicious icy poles, and I love your idea of using it as a frosting for cake!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.