Aussies Living Simply

Ausssies Living Grandly

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Ausssies Living Grandly

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author

darls post=321516 wrote: Living out here I’ve learnt to be more blind to the mess, dirty parts and unkempt gardens/lawn… I’ve had to – not enough time or wo/manpower to do everything and keep everything clean enough for a queen’s visit!

Thank you for this darls. I sometimes wonder how I will ever keep it all together and have noticd of late – it’s either THE HOUSE or THE YARD. We all enjoy a clean house but the yard keeps us fed so sometimes the house just has to be ‘let go’ :tup:

I do not have enough wo/man power to have everything right all the time and who said it has to be anyway? Bill Mollison pointed out to me in one of his books that nature does not produce staright lines and neat rows, Straight lines and neat rows are just NOT NATURAL!! πŸ˜† I like to live while I work and I often take the time to look around and enjoy the garden, rather tahn being a slave to it.

Sorry if I’m a bit off topic πŸ˜›

Diddlie

I am just blown away by the people who continually think biggest and flashiest is best, it makes me so sad when I see all the 4×4’s that never see a scrap of dust and mcmansions polished within an inch of their lives surrounded by concrete gardens and plastic lives.

Willowgirl

I agree, there would not be many people that would knock back a beautiful big new house if it was placed on a lovely large bit of land. All those new,easily cleanable surfaces would be wonderful. I would not trade my 2.5 acre house block to live cheek to cheek in the city for all the tea in China. I like people but don’t need to know what is going on in their house or yard every minute of the day. If I had my choice it would be a large sprawling new house on a big chunk of land with my neighbours away in the distance.

Willowgirl

PS. My house is around 30 years old and could be a bit bigger with a few things updated. I certainly wouldn’t trade the space my kids have to play in. A huge gum tree fell down in our yard today, the kids instantly thought ‘play time’, can’t do that in the city.

mistyhollows

Le Loup post=321534 wrote:

You simply can’t keep a country house clean 100% of the time, it is not practicle. I carry firewood in every day, & it leaves the inevitable mess. I sweep when it starts to look “too much”!

I agree firewood makes the biggest mess. Many a time it’s either the house or the yard and very often the yard wins. The house gets a swipe over when I can’t stand looking at it any more. We don’t live in a filth bowl by any means in fact I’ve had many visitors comment on how we don’t have clutter in our house and how we have the minimalist ‘look’, there’s just other things that I’d much rather do and life to live. Cleaning will always be there and I’ve had the house polished within an inch of it’s life before. I’d never stop polishing out here in the sticks where an inch of dust seems to settle back over everything as soon as you’ve swiped it off. If it ain’t there it can’t collect dust is my theory.

sue e

We have been de cluttering big time in the last few months. Its kind of liberating I think. I would like a small functional house that is climate friendly re aspect and materials used. Just big enough for us, an eat in kitchen and a big outdoor space for family gatherings.When we go to have a sticky beak at all the prize mc.mansions all I can think is ” You would never stop cleaning all these shiny huge rooms”. Not to mention clipping hedges and sweeping(or probably leaf blowing)hard surfaces. Yuk!

Kristy

Sue I love your idea actually. I think an outdoor space that can be used all year round would be fantastic! I agree I don’t want a big house to clean!

weaver

Le Loup post=321534 wrote: [Cheers! :hug:

You simply can’t keep a country house clean 100% of the time, it is not practicle. I carry firewood in every day, & it leaves the inevitable mess. I sweep when it starts to look “too much”!

I dont think I’ve managed to have my country house 100% clean at any time :blush: :blush:

mossy

Those houses look like the ones around where I live with the odd fibro shack or block of units dispersed throughout aka what I live in. Blows me away because you look at these old houses they are bulldozing for these mcmansions and they fit perfectly in the middle of the block with a massive front and back yard. Then the mansion gets put up and there is hardly a scrap of yard left. All the kids on my street that live in these mansions all play on the road.

I have 5 neighbours and I’m stuck in the centre of them all. It drives me nuts. My neighbour called out to me today and said that the ‘mess’ out the front of my unit was driving him nuts :huh: after I enquired as to what mess he was referring to, he tells me its the leaves on the path…

I can’t wait to finish studying and move out of suburbia.

mashelly

I have no issue with a bigger home…its the fact that parents with 1 and 2 children in 4/5 bedrooms 2 bathrooms 2 car garages,what on earth would they need with a house that size..we live on almost 4 acres in a 4 bedroom 60year old farmhouse and LOVE it.. we used to live in a bigger house on the gold coast but so very close to the neighbours,its stifling

Bobbee

:wave:

I heard a very sad story about some people who felt that they MUST keep up with ‘The Joneses’ and built a Mc Mansion that practically filled the yard with house, and in the ‘right’ area, but they couldn’t really afford what they built and where they built.

These folk built their Mc Mansion, and both partners HAD to work to pay for it, BUT there was no money for furniture, little for food and no extras.

It was all a facade, literally! How terribly sad that is.

Of course there are many folk who can afford the house, and all the trappings and choose that way of life. And are happy as crickets.

Again, from my perspective, how terribly sad that is too.

Bobbs :hug: :hug: :hug:

Steve
    Keymaster

It’s amazing how many people actually do hide behind a faΓ§ade.

BlueWren

Le Loup post=321534 wrote:

Living out here I’ve learnt to be more blind to the mess, dirty parts and unkempt gardens/lawn… I’ve had to – not enough time or wo/manpower to do everything and keep everything clean enough for a queen’s visit!

It really depends on each person about how their home should be and how they’d want to spend their ‘free’ time on, etc. Interesting how the lifestyle changed so quickly within 75 years, eh?

Cheers! :hug:

My philosophy exactly! :tup: “Too much” is going to have to be dealt with in some places here very soon.Trouble is the “too much” is not always my “too much”………. πŸ˜‰

Andre
    Keymaster

Le Loup post=321380 wrote:

I could not live in a city.

Its not living – it is merely existing! :sick:

Andre
    Keymaster

Wazza post=321394 wrote: Not saying whose house this is, but I’d like to put something like this up between a couple of the McMansions, complete with vegie patch, free ranging chooks and a large compost pile. I really think it would add to the street appeal.

Nice cottage πŸ™‚

I dare say Wazza, the local government wouldn’t allow it as “it is not in keeping with the aesthetics of the streetscape” .. so sad.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.