Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Attracting bees to the garden

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE BEE Keeping Attracting bees to the garden

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    JyeJye

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for attracting bees to the garden?

I’ve planted borage and it is sensational at attraction bees. I’ve also made a native bee house below but would like to know what tips you have to attract bees. Best plants etc

JyeJye

Native bee house

SnagsSnags

The European bees go mad for most blue flowers
    I get heaps on my thai basil

df418df418

Lavendar

ClaytonTylerClaytonTyler

This is a cool site. It’s funny how you want to attract bees when we want to dissuade them from coming near us! We live in Spring Texas in the United States and we keep hearing about Killer Bee attacks. Farmers, dogs, horses, people mowing their yards. The killer bees take over the normal bees hives and are so aggressive. Here’s an interesting blog if anyone is interested:  http://www.biotechpest.com/texans-attacked/ 

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

That’s scary Clayton. Your link had a few extra characters in it so it didn’t work properly. I think this is the right one: http://www.biotechpest.com/texans-attacked

earthwalkerearthwalker
    Participant

I love bees.   Some of the best bee attractants in our garden are Callistemon (Bottlebrush), Grewia Occidentalis (Lavender Star Bush), Native Frangipanni, Sambucca Nigra (Elderberry), Loquat, Citrus (all of them), Nasturtiums and Sweet Alice.  They also seem to like the roses, especially the more open flower type with the centre stamens showing.  I give most hybrid annuals a miss these days as they are of no interest to the bees.  I am really conscious of how fragile our bee populations are…so my plantings now are considerate of these precious little insects.  I also have plenty of saucers and bird baths to keep them hydrated during our long hot summers.

AshilleongAshilleong

Don’t forget water! Fill a shallow bowl with water and marbles – the marbles will mean you shouldn’t end up with a bowl of dead bees.

JyeJye

Thanks he’s is for the tips!

SnagsSnags

Native bees go mad for foxtail palm flowers the tree is buzzing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.