Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

asparagus update & ?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE The Garden Log asparagus update & ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

g’day all,

first time grower they seem to be doing well, and yes they did get a lot of urine and dishwater through the dry period, sometime shower water, other times fresh water, gave them around 1/8th a bcuket every second to third day.

where we bought the seedlings bloke says to cut them off at ground level in winter? i assume then they dies off?

anyhow never knew they flowered.

len

FishfoodFishfood

Hi len let them grow and flower and when they die back then cut them as the die back they are taking goodness back to the root system next year take off a feed or two then let them flower again

After that go for it

Anonymous

thanks fishfood,

sounds great i can eat some next year

len

FishfoodFishfood

You can sneak enough for a sandwich 4 stalks this year just to try it out, cut at 4 in high boil with salt fresh bread butter salt and pepper nothing better enjoy

And when it dies down i just top dress with sheep manure

Note to self must put some in the new place

Patsy133Patsy133

Looking good – depends what climate you grow in whether they will die back in winter. I grow in sub tropics so canes don’t die down unless i water stress the plants to create dormancy. I have been growing for about 10 years and get good crops using this method. I have about 20 plants planted at various times both in an asparagus bed and as companions to fruit trees.

The big wets we have been having over the last few years in Qld have tended to make creating a dormant period difficult as long term overcast skies create a cool spring like period coupled with enormous amounts of rain. I get 2 crops those years but it has impacted on my crops for the next year.

I mulch 6 inches every year with well rotted manure and compost and water with seaweed once a month.

All asparagus flower but only the female will set fruit. the males are usually fatter but the females get more stalks. Good luck with your asparagus growing they are one of my favorites and so easy to grow once established. Nothing beats fresh asparagus strait from garden to your plate – nothing like ones that have been picked an kept in cold storage enjoy enjoy.

Anonymous

g’day patsy,

these one are growing like mad at the moment no sign of dying down, lots of rain also for the past period. lotgs of spears growing up snapped a couple off to try them, taste great.

this lot a learning curve for us.

if we get them to go dormant by themselves which ever, then there won’t be any rotted manure or seeweed spray, they’ve had no fertiliser assistance as yet, so we will have to hope for the best.

only seeing flowers so far, no fruits must have a closer look.

ta

len

BlueWrenBlueWren

Len our climate is probably on a par with yours.My asparagus is still a verdant green too! It will probably did back later to a brown dry stem and leaves. I have read to cut the dead stalks below ground level, as you do to harvest the spears .

Mine was from seedlings and I am waiting for another year before harvesting any – that will make three years.Don’t be in too much of a hurry – it will be there for a long time!!

Anonymous

g’day blue wren,

once they start dying we will cut them back.

now the cutting back bit as we are new to this we have been told 2 options:

1.. below ground

2.. at ground level

so a wee bit confused there, and you also say when we harvest spears take them from below ground as well??

many thanks

len

SnagsSnags
    Anonymous

thanks snags,

that’s terrible looking soil?

are those spears actually growing in that stuff? doesn’t look very richified

there is no plant just spears is that what we end up with?

len

SnagsSnags

My ones are still young so I hope so

bluezbanditbluezbandit

not only do they flower, some of them have berries as well. I have wild asparagus growing all through my orchard and I don’t do anything to them except harvest loads every Spring and Summer. I can’t kill them, they just keep popping up every where. I never feed or water them but yet they go on producing loads of fat long, spears.

Anonymous

where does wild asparagus grow?

sounds like a good sustainable way

anyhow this is our first try and our first season, so looking to good harvests, might even plant more yet, got some room.

len

Anonymous

must be time for an update, not by any request special or other, it is still growing strongly some dead sprigs, not putting up any new sprouts, to feed teh bed we have created a mulch pile of raked slashed grass and other greens from onsite including moringa branches.

did sample quiet a few sprigs wonderfull fresh tast.

anyhow take care, some early winter rain maybe set us up untill regular summer rain, early in summer.

len

Anonymous

latest pic

len

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.