Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Asparagus resurrection help!

Home Forums HOMEMADE In the Garden Asparagus resurrection help!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    HumanFriendHumanFriend

Yesterday I bought an asparagus plant from Bunnings which was on the chuck-out trolley for three bucks. It was originally 16 dollars something!! Anyway, so I bought it. It doesn’t have any leaves currently and I am just wondering what it should be doing at this time of the year? They die down sometime and just have crowns, right? Is it too early for that? I’m planning on giving it a dose of seasol. Any tips? (lol pun)

SnagsSnags

They are pretty tough
    I left my ones unwatered for 6 months during the dry season  and they survived
    I came back thinking a few had died but a bit of water and back they came.
    Seasol is good
    Find a nice spot prepare with manure ,they last about 20 years (from memory)

AUSSIEDOWNUNDERAUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

As Snags said they are tough

Prepare your spot  plenty of manure plant it deep over a mound  and just cover roots And mulch heavy with manure just keep it damp

Heres mine it kind of got away when I was in hospital

004_7.jpg

AUSSIEDOWNUNDERAUSSIEDOWNUNDER
    Participant

Sorry heres the photo

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

tough as old boots hard to kill really, mine have survived flood and drought. They die down in the Winter and you don’t harvest for the first few years and you need to leave some spears to feed the crown.

HumanFriendHumanFriend

Cool, thanks! I’m surprised they are tough .. asparagus being all la di da and expensive and all. Very pretty plant, too!

HumanFriendHumanFriend

It completely died off but I’m pleased to report it has sent up some new shoots! Three dollars well spent! 😀

LioraLiora
    Participant

That’s terrific!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.