Aussies Living Simply

Arid plants garden

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Ornamental Gardens Arid plants garden

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    EmbersEmbers

Does anyone have an arid plants garden they’d like to share pictures/details of? I’m thinking of putting one in atop a rock wall underneath the clothesline – I need something low-growing that likes full sun and free-draining soils.

What did you plant? Did you use any Australian natives (I’ve been told we have no native cacti, and our succulents are hard to source)?

GrethGreth

lol, Embers, my whole garden is arid plants, by default.

Actually for low growing with a nice scent I would try and track down costmary, it works really well, and has a lovely minty smell, should your socks take a dive from the line.

Will come up with a few more after I have had a think!

I have started a log, you could look there and see if that gives any ideas. pics are end of March, after a hot summer everything is a bit thoughtful, but still quite a bit of green around.

shortlyshortly

australiansucculents.com have lots of really cool auzzie native succulent seeds but they aren’t exactly cheap.

Paul Forster has a succulent nursery out your way, what Paul doesnt know about succulents isn’t worth knowing.

If you hunt around you will even find quite a few edible succulents.

Just beware the winter rainfall species, they look beautiful in southern gardens but when the get up here they usually rot as soon as summer hits, we get rain when they want a nice dry rest:rip:

Mac_GMac_G

shortly wrote:

australiansucculents.com have lots of really cool auzzie native succulent seeds but they aren’t exactly cheap.

Oh, that’s Attila Kapitany’s website. He was on Gardening Australia a few weeks ago. Such an amazing garden!

TheExpertVGLTheExpertVGL

The plants that grow in the arid eastern region near the Columbia River and the Columbia Basin have a number of traits which help them to be successful in the desert.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.